you Wisconsin FREAKS! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > you Wisconsin FREAKS!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

Quote:
Wis. festival sells deep-fried testicles

May 13, 2007
ELDERON, Wis. --Around here, it may be tough to pass up anything deep-fried.

Wisconsinites have deep-fried cheese curds, candy bars and Twinkies. They now have deep-fried livestock testicles, too.

More than 300 people paid $5 for all-you-can-eat goat, lamb and bull testicles Saturday at the ninth annual Testicle Festival at Mama's Place Bar and Grill in Elderon in central Wisconsin.

"Once you get over the mental (aspect) of what you're eating, it's just like eating any other food, and it tastes good," Buster Hoffman said.

Festival founder Nancy Fenske said the festival grew out of her late husband Roger's birthday party 12 years ago. They decided to have "a nut fry" at Mama's Place after bringing back lamb fries from a trip to Montana.

The event grew every year and now they fry up to 100 pounds of testicles, she said.

"What else can you do in a small town?" Fenske said.

Butch Joubert, 58, likes the parts sandwiched between bread with tartar sauce. They're not so different from regular meatballs also served at the festival, he said.

"After a few beers, you can't really tell the difference," Joubert said.

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/artic...p1=MEWell_Pos1

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

I think THESE were around LONG before Wisconsinites decided to do it.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

I just love that it's an all-you-can-eat affair...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 05-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
dblvsn

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Ankeny, IA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

MMM... Gotta love those rocky mountain oysters. Occasionally there's a few of those feeds around every year in Iowa too. I always love taking unsuspecting friends from out of town and letting them enjoy some of the finest Midwest oysters. Always funny as hell to see the look on their faces when they find out what they really are. I find it hard to believe that not everybody knows what they are yet.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

"Sometimes, the bull wins."

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Racine WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had to work sorry I missed it.

Magic Bus Brewery

Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 AM   #7
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My ex-wife's family had a horse farm and when the vet would come around to geld all the little boy horsies the two farm dogs would hang around the whole time. Why, because as each one was "snipped" the vet would toss them to one of the dogs to eat! I think those dogs would sleep for at least two days afterwards.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
Ize

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

More than a couple of years ago, our Farm Reporter was leaving, and to give him a proper sendoff we held a mini "Testicle Festival" on the front drive of the radio station. Deep fried about 50 pounds of hog and turkey testicles for folks to come out and sample. (Hog nuts are huge, turkey nuts are tiny, and no, I have no idea how they got the turkey testes...)

I sampled none, although I hear they taste like liver. Doesn't matter, I hate liver too.

Regardless, we had listeners rolling thru the driveway in a steady stream (pardon the pun) from 6am until the show ended at 9am. The crowning moment was our State Senator showing up with a huge castration tool. (He was a farmer from way back) Most of us couldn't even look at it.

Got rid of all the little nuggets in the end tho.

I still haven't partaken, and unless there's nothing else edible for hundreds of miles, I won't be.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #9
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts

300 people is not a festivle. Thats barely a party up here for FFS.

THIS is a festivle