Do you consider the order of drinking? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you consider the order of drinking?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
gstrawn
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Athens, Ga
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

I began the night with a sweet water happy ending, then a gueze, and then a kolsh. The sour dominated my palate, and it was very difficult to discern those nuances characteristic of a kolsh. It was really disappointing. I wasn't able to appropriately enjoy it. I've never really planned the order of my beers, but today I was forced to reconsider. Does anyone take this into consideration? Do big beers dominate future drinks for you?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Daybis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Columbus, MS
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Big drinks do dominate for me. If I plan on having several different beers, I try to order them by intensity. I start with the lighter and lower ABV beers and work my way up to darker more intense beers.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybis View Post
Big drinks do dominate for me. If I plan on having several different beers, I try to order them by intensity. I start with the lighter and lower ABV beers and work my way up to darker more intense beers.
I do this too! If you start with a stout and end with an amber it just don't work!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
BiggieB400
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I try to start with a lighter beer especially when eating as the bigger beers tend to fill me up and ruin my palette for the others I might try... Sometimes I lose track of dinner and the beer menu consumes me and I get that big beer that looks tasty!!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
born3z

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Watertown, SD
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I do this too! If you start with a stout and end with an amber it just don't work!
Yep, I do too. You gotta appreciate the flavors of all the beers you drink!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Monkey55
Recipes 

Jun 2010
SoCal
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been doing it wrong. I've always started with the bigger more flavorable beers.

When I do that, I can usually taste what's not in the lighter beers.

hmm. Maybe I'll try it the opposite way.

E

Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
step

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hood River, Oregon
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I always try to plan my consumption according to its affect on my palette (light lower ibu beers first), but as they say... the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry

Old 01-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
ClarnoBrewer

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Independence, Oregon
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I mainly watch IBUs, starting with the lowest. A really hoppy beer will make anything less hoppy taste very bland. I guess I'd bump a really intense stout further up the line too, especially if it was one of the coffee/bourbon/smoke/vanilla type concoctions.

This is actually one reason I tend to not do taster trays. 3 or 4 ounces of a bunch of beers just tends to confuse me and my palate. If I want to try a few, sometimes I'll order glasses (12oz) rather than pints, if that's an option.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
tuskenraider
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Oak Forest, IL
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Nope, I start with the most appealing beer on the menu and work from there.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 492 Times on 397 Posts

Yes I always think about it. If I start out drinking IIPA it's going to be pretty hard to taste that witbier afterwards.