Trying to make a spiced up blonde ale - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Trying to make a spiced up blonde ale

Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Jan 2012
Mount Kisco, NY

First a little background info.

I a about to graduate College this spring and this past winter break I have immensely enjoyed the company of my Yellow Labrador, Buddy, at home. He's been my childhood dog, we got him when i was in 6th grade, and he's always been quite odd. For instance, he's a Labrador and he's afraid of water and swimming. He also believes he can talk to us with his groans, all around a loveable but incredibly bizarre animal.

So he became the inspiration for my next brew, what I've lovingly decided to call the "Odd Lab" Blonde ale.

I figured since I'm still relatively new to this I would use a Northern Brewing brewkit, specifically their Irish Blonde kit. What I want to do is add a interesting spice or floral additive that makes it appropriate for its namesake. I was thinking of using one of the following three; either cloves, allspice, or lavender.

Anyone have any opinion on which of these would work the best? I'd be brewing a five gallon batch, and I'm leaning towards cloves and throwing them in in the last 15 or 10 minutes of the boil. I feel like they would be the most appropriate since Irish Blonde's tend to be a little spicy like a Saison.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Nov 2011

I had a blonde with lavender out of a brewery near Baltimore. It was one of the more unique flavors I've had in a beer. Subtle, but definitely odd. It was quite polarizing; some of my buddies loved it, others thought it reminded them of laundry detergent I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to use it in the brewing process, but I'm guessing it would be best to add in secondary fermentation