Well, Got my first batch done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just tried my first batch bottled up and curing. Hope all goes well. It tasted a little watered down and had a odd flavor. I'm hoping that will change after it cures in the bottles.

395635_10150545239602350_501557349_8891637_898419392_n.jpg

I opened one bottle to get a hydrometer reading (and a taste test) after 1.5 weeks. The watered down taste is going away. my hydrometer readings have not changed much at all. its reading at 1.019, 2.5 ABV (seems low to me) and around 6% sugar content. The beer has cleared up a lot and looks like a brown ale should. There is a layer of sediment at the bottom and carbonation looks good and no exploding bottles. Does everything sound good for 1.5 weeks in? I'll try another one on week 3 and see how it looks.

Your patient thats good.2 things for you. You don't need to take any more hydrometer readings because it isall done and wont change. Second you are reading your hydrometer wrong to figure out alcohol content. How you do it is by taking your original gravity (og), wich is what it was before you added your yeast and then you get your final gravity (fg) wich is after its done fermenting and use this equation to calculate your alcohol. (OG-FG)x131 = ABV. Or use this website. http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php
Give that a try. If you don't know your original gravity and you are doing an extract beer the box it came in will usaully tell you and if it doesn't we can figure it out for you.

I love the shorter bottles because with long necks the bottling wand seems to displace more beer making it harder to get them as full as I want. Some of the new Belgium bottles are about 2"from the top on my first batch.

Wow, after 3 weeks it looks great, smells great, and has great head. It has little hop flavor, but really Tastes good after really hoppy brews. This was a kit brew with only one hop infusion. It still has a funny aftertaste. However, it is is enjoyable. And for my first brew, it inspires me. Thanks guys for the help and the inspiration. On to the next batch!!!

Back