Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > HELP-Dandelion wine delemma

Old 05-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
SAS98M
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP-Dandelion wine delemma

Got almost 4 gallons of dandelion flowers picked earlier this afternoon,was destemming them all myself-couldn't get them done in time for a boil today-it's now almost 8:30.
1st question-Can these flowers be refridgerated and boiled another day ?
2nd question-Do I need to remove all the greenery from the flower or can this be kept on devoid of the stems-I think I read somewhere that some recipes are ok using the whole flower and some require just the petals(yellow part)?

I lost a 5 gallon bucket of these last year because something came up the day I wanted to boil and all the flowers rotted in the bucket-I don't want a repeat !

Any help/input that could be provided ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks . Shane

Old 05-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

I spent the day picking dandelions myself! Let's see- you can freeze them, no problem. I've read that some people do leave a little green (the calyx area) on the flowers, but I never have. I depetal them all- a real pain, but awesome wine. My recipe is in the database. I've read that the green stems and/or calyxes can impart a bitter taste to the wine, so I've always removed all green. I picked three or four grocery bags of whole flowers and ended up with 600 grams of flower petals (enough for only two gallons) so I froze them until I can collect some more tomorrow.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
SAS98M
Recipes 

I've read about the bittering thing and as of the last two years batches haven't let much of any green in the boil-My last two batches have turned out absolutely fantastic-Even using fleischmans yeast as the one recipe calls for. I wasn't sure of the freezing thing. Thanks Yooper....

Old 05-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A lot of recipes I've seen suggest soaking them in water (not boiled) for 2 days prior to the boil anyway. Is this incorrect or not necessary? I'm looking to take my first stab at this soon...

Going to look for your recipe Yooper!

Old 05-16-2007, 02:18 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

They should be soaked to release their flavor, then discarded. If you leave them longer than 2 days, it tastes grassy instead of fruity.

It really is good! More people should try this.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
SAS98M
Recipes 

Finished seperating those little buggers yesterday afternoon and by 6:30 had all ingredients into the pot and had it on the turkey burner on the back porch. Had a rolling boil in a short time,boiled for an hour-condensed a little over six-1/2 gallons down to just over five by the end of the boil.Couldn't help but taste the stuff--WOO HOO can't wait till this batch is done-it tastes really good now. Nice thing is that last years batch is just about ready to be bottled -yep,still in secondary.....

Yooper-Those petals froze very well,and the un-popped flowers kept in the fridge just fine overnight until they were plucked. Thanks,Shane