Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > This won't seal air tight. Will it work?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
LTownLiquorPig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Default This won't seal air tight. Will it work?

This is the bucket I can get from my Brew Store (small town pharmacy, lets be honest). The lid doesn't have that rubber gasket that some of the other buckets I've seen have. Should I be worried about using it? What about and airlock?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ClearBrewBucket.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	44085   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClearBrewLid.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	44086  

Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

You really don't need an airtight seal on your fermenter. The co2 coming out of there would protect your beer. In fact many folks with arthitis and other issues don't snap the lid down on their buckets anyway, and may folks just put tinfoil, plastic wrap, metal cookie sheets or even plexiglass sheets on top of the bucket instead. It's really not crucial to be tight. The bad stuff are not ninja acrobats, they really can't get into stuff. The co2 coming out will prevent anything getting in.

In fact you don't want a "pressurized" bucket, if you have one, then at some point you will end up with a ceiling full of beer. I've had that happen when the vent (airlock) gets blocked by a freak hop cone, and it wasn't pretty.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have heard of guys using buckets with nothing but a piece of cellophane on top to allow the CO2 to exit while keeping nasties out so I guess you could simply set the lid on top and without sealing the edges and be OK. Don't seal it or it will end up blown off into your ceiling!
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Unnamable IPA, Sort of Sunshine IIPA
Bottled: English Mild, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Vienna Lager, American Amber, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

That's why it doesn't have an airlock....the lid isn't meant to seal tight...that acts as your airlock. An airlock is nothing more than a valve to keep the lid from blowing off and painting your ceiling with your beer.

The bad stuff are not ninja acrobats, they really can't get into stuff. The co2 coming out will prevent anything getting in.

The airlock is one of the most superfluous things in brewing, that new brewers seem to put the most stock in. It's not a magic fermentation gauge, it's a vent, a valve to release excess co2...which in an unsealing fermenter, it doesn't need to...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I searched and read a couple threads on this issue, but I couldn't shake the "this bucket is probably for wine, is it going to screw up my beer" thought out of my head. What is it the kids are saying, #First World Problems

Old 01-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
I have heard of guys using buckets with nothing but a piece of cellophane on top to allow the CO2 to exit while keeping nasties ou...
North Peak Brewing Company in Traverse City, Michigan brews their beers that way.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Just remember, a mr beer keg doesn't use an airlock....and beer still ferments in it.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would just order some ingredients online and include a bucket and a lid in my order along with any other items you may need. My goto sites are Morebeer.com and northernbrewer.com. I have been leaning more toward Northern Brewer bc their flat rate shipping gets to me in FL pretty quick and I love BrewingTV on Northern Brewer's site!!!! All For Brew, Brew For All!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whis121surfing View Post
I would just order some ingredients online and include a bucket and a lid in my order along with any other items you may need. My goto sites are Morebeer.com and northernbrewer.com. I have been leaning more toward Northern Brewer bc their flat rate shipping gets to me in FL pretty quick and I love BrewingTV on Northern Brewer's site!!!! All For Brew, Brew For All!!!
Why? We just got finished saying, there's absolutely no reason he needs a bucket that seals or has an airlock. He can make beer just fine in it....

There are quite a few starter kits that come with just such a type of fermenter.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Shipping in Canada is ridiculous. About all I've found that would be cost effective is dry yeast and small amounts of hops, if they will ship small enough to fit through the plexiglass envelope thickness gauge Canada Post uses.

I'd RDWDHB more often to get over these noob worries, but I'm running out of home brew..... So i need more fermenters!