Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How Do You Cut Beer Bottles?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
ultravista
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default How Do You Cut Beer Bottles?

A pretty cool concept, beer bottles repurposed as glasses ...

Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale Beer Glasses Recycled by glassbottleworx

How do you cut and smooth bottles like this?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

There's a couple of threads on here about them and some youtube videos, let me see if I can find them.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

I can't find the threads, but-

Here's an instructable.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
jpietraski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In 'Big Trouble in Little China', Jack Burton (Kurt Russel's character), can cut a bottle in half with one swing of a knife.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
OpenContainer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When I was a kid, Ronco sold a bottle and jar cutter that was aimed at making glasses just as you want. It was even cooler than the bedazzler.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenContainer View Post
When I was a kid, Ronco sold a bottle and jar cutter that was aimed at making glasses just as you want. It was even cooler than the bedazzler.
You actually can still get them. I posted all that info years ago in the thread that I can't find. But you can get those bottle cutters form amazon or ebay.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
nvr2low
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I actually posted a question about this last week, see this thread for the cutting tool

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/cutt...rowler-293730/

Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
VCR
Recipes 

I made a guitar slide out of a wine bottle top. Did it the old school way like the old blues guys in the past that would grab bottles out of the trash, 'cause they where dirt poor.

I took a hacksaw and kept cutting around the tip, until I felt like I did it long enough. Then I impacted against piece of wood and it broke free. Smoothed by rubbing on concrete. Yes this takes FOREVER, lol. I was looking for the experience if you know what I mean. But I wouldn't try this on making a glass I think. I just felt like chiming in.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
William_Stout
Recipes 

I work in the Canadian Army as a Combat Engineer and we do something like this with wine bottles to make a homemade shape charge. All you need is some hemp or cotton string, some gasoline, a lighter and a bucket of water.
you need to wrap the string around the bottle at the point you want it cut, we use a process called frapping, if you google it you may find the process. once the string is secured soak it in gasoline(do this outside) light the string on fire and let it burn for a minute or two. Using heavy duty gloves or metal tongs, drop the flaming bottle into a bucket of water and it should break right where the string was frapped. This works perfectly about 80% of the time. Make sure the string is wraped around about 8 times and very tight.

Chimo!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Stout View Post
we use a process called frapping, if you google it you may find the process.
I googled it, uh,, I heard you can go blind doing that.

Oh.....you wrote FRapping....I had a "w" in there.