Noob Question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Noob Question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
IAccidentallyCider
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Burlington, VT
Posts: 3


Hey after reading through a couple of posts I thought I'd ask just what this is.

I noticed my air lock wasn't bubbling. I let it sit for a day, I then noticed this on the side of the tank.

If it helps...
I used:
  • ec-1118
  • 4lbs cornsugar
  • ~5 gallons of 100% apple cider (only apples)
  • - Sterilized with 1-step before hand
any suggestions are appreciated.

the only thing i can think of is I might have killed the yeast (the cider was a little bit chilled when I mixed it together.) but i did activate the yeast with the instructions on the packet
Click image for larger version

Name:	li2rl.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	44022  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,246
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts


Looks like yeast to me. It's also possible the corn sugar might not have mixed up and has formed some chunks. Make sure it settles in at around 60-65F and you should be fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
DWavs
 
DWavs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Middletown, Virginia
Posts: 196
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
Looks like yeast to me. It's also possible the corn sugar might not have mixed up and has formed some chunks. Make sure it settles in at around 60-65F and you should be fine.
I agree.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
IAccidentallyCider
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Burlington, VT
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
Looks like yeast to me. It's also possible the corn sugar might not have mixed up and has formed some chunks. Make sure it settles in at around 60-65F and you should be fine.
Thanks!

Should I be worried about no bubbling? I've read that some cider bubbles very little, but I've also read that it's supposed to bubble alot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
DWavs
 
DWavs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Middletown, Virginia
Posts: 196
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IAccidentallyCider View Post
Thanks!

Should I be worried about no bubbling? I've read that some cider bubbles very little, but I've also read that it's supposed to bubble alot.
When did you pitch the yeast and what temp do you have the carboy sitting at?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
IAccidentallyCider
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Burlington, VT
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWavs View Post
When did you pitch the yeast and what temp do you have the carboy sitting at?
about 24 hours ago, and it's sitting in a room that's 64 degrees F.

The cider was a little cold when I pitched it. I'm worried maybe the temperature shock from the warm water to the colder cider killed the yeast (if this is possible). Should I be worried or just be patient?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
DWavs
 
DWavs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Middletown, Virginia
Posts: 196
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IAccidentallyCider View Post
about 24 hours ago, and it's sitting in a room that's 64 degrees F.

The cider was a little cold when I pitched it. I'm worried maybe the temperature shock from the warm water to the colder cider killed the yeast (if this is possible). Should I be worried or just be patient?
If it has only been 24 hours and the temp is 64 degrees, I would be patient. I would think you would see some signs of fermentation in the next 24-36 hours.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,246
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts


Even if you killed off half of the yeast when you dumped them in, you should still have enough to finish the job. I wouldn't worry about it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Longtrain4
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAccidentallyCider
the only thing i can think of is I might have killed the yeast (the cider was a little bit chilled when I mixed it together.) but i did activate the yeast with the instructions on the packet
Unless the juice had an unknown sorbate or other fermentation killer (you say just juice), you should be fine, EC-1118 has a wide temperature range once it warms a bit it should take off. If not, toss in a little yeast energizer.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob Question! accroul Cider Forum 6 03-23-2009 03:59 AM
noob question lordbeermestrength Cider Forum 5 10-27-2008 07:52 PM
Noob Question Noobrewer73 Cider Forum 2 05-08-2008 05:52 PM
Noob Question tooomanycolors Cider Forum 5 12-03-2007 10:16 PM
noob question kforest236 Cider Forum 5 10-21-2007 03:02 PM


Forum Jump