Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > There's Some Bad Info Going Around

Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #81
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
And i've heard that argument made (by Jamil, at least, i feel like i may have heard some of the pro brewers interviewed on the BN mention it as well) that you actually get BETTER results from your yeast on the 3rd or 4th pitch than you do on the first, because by then you have a yeast population that is tuned to operate in optimal beer making mode.
I can understand that if you're operating a commercial brewery that makes exactly the same wort for multiple batches. The colony gets acclimated to a particlular composition of sugars. How many of us brew the same batch repeatedly?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #82
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
I can understand that if you're operating a commercial brewery that makes exactly the same wort for multiple batches. The colony gets acclimated to a particlular composition of sugars. How many of us brew the same batch repeatedly?
Well, JZ believes it helps from a homebrewing perspective as well, you can take that for whatever its worth, perhaps as little as nothing.

But, even if you're not brewing the same beer over and over again, you have to remember that brewing conditions and yeast propagation conditions are different. So even if you have different beers, those conditions are probably still more similar to each other than they are to yeast propagation conditions. When propagating yeast, the yeast labs don't have any reason to let the yeast ferment all the way out, because the tail end of fermentation does nothing to help yeast numbers or yeast health (which are their only concerns). For instance, wyeast recommends when propagating to move on to the next propagation step at as early as 50% apparent attenuation. When propagating, there are no hops, which can inhibit yeast growth.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #83
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your love for Jamil is well documented.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #84
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

HaHa. I love threads like this that bring out all the usual HBT flamers. I am surprised Airborneguy hasn't made an appearance. Some people get all bent out of shape over the dumbest stuff. I guess that will happen when you mix ABV and HBT.

Wyeast website also states to pitch lagers at 68-70. Would I do it that way? Nope. I don't have an opinion on the proper way to use dry yeast, as I don't use it, but stating that because the yeast company says you don't NEED to aerate, is not enough for me to prove that it is the BEST way to do it. That's just how I feel. As stated earlier, I wouldn't even think of following kit beer instructions, so instructions in general are suspect in my mind.

Oh, and I love it when people are being brow-beat they always resort to bashing the other person for not being a financial supporter of the forum. haha.

Reason: poor choice of phrasing

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #85
bolshoifish
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManifesto View Post
but...how? what is the advantage that dry yeast has in this regard that liquid doesn't?
Many single cell organisms, especially ones that lack strong membranes (like yeast) have a defense mechanism where they build a layer of protein/lipid around themselves to help reduce the impact of cold/dryness (otherwise the internal water pressure would cause them to burst for instance). It should come as no surprise that it might use this structure to help propagate when more optimal conditions return. Most microbiology textbooks discuss this in some detail. You might want to start there.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #86
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

For those of you (like me) who need videos and pictures and graphs... Bobby provides.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #87
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4836 Times on 2890 Posts
Likes Given: 4051

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
HaHa. I love threads like this that bring out all the usual HBT information nazis.
Honestly, look at the thread title and tell me that wasn't some serious bait.

I think the "information nazis" here have tried to add fact to anecdote. This is always a good thing; how can it not be?

I won't discuss the human/emotional side of things. You know, the first person to get emotional loses.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #88
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Honestly, look at the thread title and tell me that wasn't some serious bait.

I think the "information nazis" here have tried to add fact to anecdote. This is always a good thing; how can it not be?

I won't discuss the human/emotional side of things. You know, the first person to get emotional loses.
Now you've hurt my feelings.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #89
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Boy, do I feel stupid after watching this.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #90
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Boy, do I feel stupid after watching this.
Just fuel for the fire