Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mark 2 Keg Washer

Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #51
Jazong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Does the pump have enough juice to run cleaner through both? I shouldn't have to modify the thing to get it to do its job. Why wouldn't someone want to clean the gas side?

-J

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #52
kincade
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazong View Post
Does the pump have enough juice to run cleaner through both? I shouldn't have to modify the thing to get it to do its job. Why wouldn't someone want to clean the gas side?

-J
Yes, it does have enough power. However many people take the posts off to clean a keg just as i do every other time. What you are asking IS a modification, albeit one i find useful sometimes.

What "modification" would you have in the vext revision? Including a "t"? Have you emailed mark with your concerns?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #53
Jazong
Recipes 

Contacted Mark? No, it would be just as easy to modify it myself. I think tubing and a T would be a good addition. As long as the pump can run both sides as you said.

Not sure why someone would take a keg apart to clean it when they have just purchased a keg cleaner. That would be completely counter productive. Dr. Scott from the Brewing Network has said he hasn't taken a keg apart in years, and he won gold at the National Homebrew Conference last year.

-J

Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #54
Bert1097
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazong
Contacted Mark? No, it would be just as easy to modify it myself. I think tubing and a T would be a good addition. As long as the pump can run both sides as you said.

Not sure why someone would take a keg apart to clean it when they have just purchased a keg cleaner. That would be completely counter productive. Dr. Scott from the Brewing Network has said he hasn't taken a keg apart in years, and he won gold at the National Homebrew Conference last year.

-J
Some dude did this and that and look, he's a great/ award winning brewer!! Please, if you want something as clean as possible you have to take it apart and clean it. If you don't, you are assuming the risk.

Mark put together a very nice and economical cleaner for folks that didn't want to DYI (me). It's a great addition to the brew gear and one that I am more than happy with. It takes such little effort to unscrew your posts I'm not sure why anyone wouldnt. Seems like more work to connect and disconnect the QD's than just breaking out the old socket and unscrewing but this is just one man's opinion.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #55
Jazong
Recipes 

I built a better one in my garage. The only reason I bought Mark's is because the dye from the sump pump I used appeared to be bleeding into the water during long cycles of washing with PBW.

I ask again, what is the point of a keg washer when you have to take it apart to clean it anyhow? I could do that without a keg washer which makes Mark's not economical at all. If it is easier to get out a wrench that to use a QD you are not doing it right. Why would QDs ever have been invented if this were the case?

Oh ya... Tell me you don't learn from the habits of other brewers who you respect. If you don't why are you on a forum if not to learn? To throw flames would be my guess?

Here is the one I built.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1075748...78500228620930

https://picasaweb.google.com/1075748...78506771530850

-J

Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #56
Bert1097
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do emulate the brewers that I respect but I am quite careful not to pick up bad habits such as not taking things apart to clean them. I felt you came on this thread to throw flames yourself. Mark has said several times that he made this device for folks who didn't want to make their own. The device works very well, period.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #57
Jazong
Recipes 

In my first post pointed out what I consider to be a design flaw. That was it. No flames. Every home built keg cleaner I've ever seen has a QD for the beer side and the gas side.

Once I make the modification and can actually use the keg washer I'll come back on this thread and give it a review, but for now all I can say is it is not what I expected having seen the original version (which was probably modified by the friend who owns it) and what I perceive to be a big difference in quality. I would have preferred to pay more for a piece of equipment that was at least comparable to the garage built units I've seen.

-J

Old 04-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #58
kincade
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Jazong, no flames here, I just disagree with you. I disagree the lack of a $.99 'T' warrants a complaint of a 'major oversight' and a needed revision in the next version. If you feel so strongly I would highly recommend emailing Mark as he has been very receptive to feedback.

On the disassembly of kegs it takes me literally less than a minute to disassemble 2 and less than a minute to assemble 2 again. That includes my time to dig my wrench out of my brewbox. As there are areas that wouldn't see heavy circulation of solution even with a high flow pump I'm not sure there is a downside but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and processes. With sanitation and cleanliness I rarely err on the side of saying 'close enough'. I credit this process to never having lost a batch to infection.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #59
kincade
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

FYI, I've been talking with Mark over email about some of the improvements that could be made to the Keg washer and he has finished a few improvements. There will be a silicone grommet/spacer to raise the 6.5 gallon carboys and keep them from slipping and a nylon T-adapter which will be harder than the one currently included. From Mark:

Quote:
The new parts should be arriving in about three weeks. As soon as they get here, I will be sending the grommets and nylon parts out to everybody who turned in a warranty card. Spread the word on that one if you could.
So, make sure you send in your warranty card so he can send the new parts out to you. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #60
cino101
Recipes 

Has anyone tried this on a 10 gallon or even 15 gal corny?