Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewers best ?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
singram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First, regarding your concern about the reliability of Brewers Best kits, My first 5 batches were BB kits, and all went off without a hitch in spite of my noob mistakes. Everything needed(yes, including yeast) is included.

Second BBs Milk Stout kit was my 2nd batch. Even though I've moved past extract kits, I do plan on doing another Milk Stout in the near future. In spite of drinking the entire batch WAAY to early, my wife(as well as a couple co-workers absolutely loved it).

Adding coffee beans does sound interesting but personally If I've never tried a given kit before, or was new to extract brewing in general, I'd leave it as is so I know exactly what its supposed to taste like before altering it.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
ssiimmoonn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by singram
First, regarding your concern about the reliability of Brewers Best kits, My first 5 batches were BB kits, and all went off without a hitch in spite of my noob mistakes. Everything needed(yes, including yeast) is included.

Second BBs Milk Stout kit was my 2nd batch. Even though I've moved past extract kits, I do plan on doing another Milk Stout in the near future. In spite of drinking the entire batch WAAY to early, my wife(as well as a couple co-workers absolutely loved it).

Adding coffee beans does sound interesting but personally If I've never tried a given kit before, or was new to extract brewing in general, I'd leave it as is so I know exactly what its supposed to taste like before altering it.
Awesome, thanks . Brewed it last night. Didn't rehydrate the yeast and had some nice bubbling action this morning, was confused about the maltodextrin addition. I added it right at end if boil and mixed it up good. Do you remember when you added it? ( too late but maybe for next time I'll take note)

Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
singram
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Do you remember when you added it?
Not off the top of my head, but I can say that I followed BBs instructions verbatim. Oh, wait, now that I'm thinking about it, I want to say the instructions called for it to be added at the same time as the Extract. Whatever it said, I did.

This kit is definitly worth the wait. It was tasty at first, then got downright awesome toward the end.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
bitlumpkin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiimmoonn View Post
Everything included and ready to go out of box? Was hoping to get it done today right after I pick it up so I can make sure to call it MLK stout...
this is great. very creative.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiimmoonn View Post
Awesome, thanks . Brewed it last night. Didn't rehydrate the yeast and had some nice bubbling action this morning, was confused about the maltodextrin addition. I added it right at end if boil and mixed it up good. Do you remember when you added it? ( too late but maybe for next time I'll take note)
I have the BB milk stout fermenting now. There was nothing in the directions for the Malto Dextrin. After reading up on here, it could be added anytime during boil.

I did contact them to let them know about it missing from the steps. They are aware and all new kits come with them.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
ssiimmoonn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool , yeah I knew I didn't see it after carefully scanning the paper,. Also I put this in primary sometime late Tuesday, at around 7 am airlock was bubblin pretty solidly and lasted all Wednesday, now it's pretty quiet and not much action.... Any thoughts?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Patience, grasshoppa. Gotta give it a couple weeks, its perfectly normal! Whats your fermentation temperature?
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #18
singram
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
There was nothing in the directions for the Malto Dextrin
Look closely under step 4 Start Boil. I remember it took me awhile to find it too. So in answer to OPs question, add it at the start of the boil.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #19
singram
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anybody have any thoughts on a partial mash milk stout recipe?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #20
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by singram View Post
Look closely under step 4 Start Boil. I remember it took me awhile to find it too. So in answer to OPs question, add it at the start of the boil.
You must have the updated version.