Whirlpool, worth it? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whirlpool, worth it?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
tlazaroff
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Fairfax, VA

Hi all.
My question is in regards to utilizing a whirlpool. I never have. I just accepted any hop particles into the fermenter, as well as hot break material, etc and RDWHAHB'ed it up. I have never had a problem with the final product, my beer has always good. I have found that any break/hop material just falls out of suspension after fermentation. Is there any reason that I should consider utilizing a whirlpool at all?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Lucky_Chicken

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Bloomfield, IA
Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts

I just started, it is nice! The benefit i see for not having it in the bottom of the fermenter is I have less fermenter loss, thus more beer!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
ArcaneXor

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 117 Times on 104 Posts

I don't see much benefit in terms of clarity on my system, but I really like the character whirlpool hop additions lend to a beer. I usually start recirculating the wort through my pump and plate chiller with about 10 minutes left in the boil and let it go for another 10 minutes post-boil before turning on the cold water to chill the wort.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
tlazaroff
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Fairfax, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
I really like the character whirlpool hop additions lend to a beer.
Is there a difference between a Flame Out and Whirlpool addition of hops? Besides stirring the wort, it's basically the same, no?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
ArcaneXor

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 117 Times on 104 Posts

Well, traditional flame-out additions imply relatively rapid cooling shortly after the addition, whereas whirlpooling implies hot steeping for an extended time, but I suppose there is some overlap. Hot steeping seems to create a more intense flavor/aroma and a smooth bitterness.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
brushvalleybrewer

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Centre Hall, Pennsylvania
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After chilling, I've started stirring up a whirlpool and leting the wort sit for 20 minute to get all of the break material to settle out away from the dip tube and have noticed significantly better clarity and easier transfer.

I think the other thing people talk about as an advantage is that if you are doing the whirlpool using a recirculation pump during immersion chilling, then you get better heat transfer and it chills faster.