Consequences of using more yeast than recommended ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I’ve been making cider for a while now but I also have knowledge in the art of distillation. When making a wash to distill, it’s always recommended to use lots of yeast and I’ve been doing the same with cider lately and was wondering if it can impact the final taste if my cider ... giving it a more yeasty taste even after it has cleared and been pasteurized.

For instance, if using the easy stove top pasteurization method, my assumption is that once all yeast are dead no matter how much you’ve used, they will sink to the bottom of the bottles and you won’t be able to taste them but am I wrong ? I never use a crazy amount like a full pack meant for 5 gallon in a 1 gallon carboy but I usually take a pack of yeast(s-04) meant for a 5 gallon and divide it by 3 and make 3 batch of 1 gallon.

My first thought was ester production in an un-stressed yeast population. But, with cider, I'm not sure how it relates. If you're worried, you should filter or use finings of some sort. Although,if it's yeast byproducts you're tasting, you may be right indeed.

Back