Hydrometer + carboy - Question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer + carboy - Question

Old 01-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
wkethman
Recipes 

Dec 2011
New Orleans, Louisiana

I currently have a batch in a carboy that has been fermenting for 9 days and in a few more I would like to measure the specific gravity. I am curious if anyone has a creative method other than siphoning a sample to a graduated cylinder? Would it be ok for me to sanitize the hydrometer and place inside carboy at day 14? I would leave it in until transfer to bottling bucket and then fill the carboy with water to make it float to top and retrieve. Would this in anyway compromise the integrity of the batch if properly cleaned and sanitized?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Lucky_Chicken

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Bloomfield, IA
Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts

wouldn't compromise the batch if it was properly sanitized but you wont be able to get a reading, bubbles will form on the hydrometer giving varying readings. Best way to get a sample is with a sanitized "thief"

Old 01-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Dec 2011
cleveland, Ohio
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsims21 View Post
wouldn't compromise the batch if it was properly sanitized but you wont be able to get a reading, bubbles will form on the hydrometer giving varying readings. Best way to get a sample is with a sanitized "thief"
+1 (if you have a turkey baster, sanitize and use that)

Also, hydrometers can break at what seems like anytime for no reason. If it does in primary the entire batch is shot.