Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Does my yeast packet with built in starter, need a starter?
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #111
JustLooking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 62

edit: sorry, bad post!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #112
Sulli
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
Yeah, that’s just the point. It’s not that simple. I think that’s where Bob was going with this. Best case, a 1/2 liter starter will get you from 100 billion cells to 112 billion. It might proof your yeast, but doesn’t exactly set the bar very high since your average homebrew recipe needs over 200. I could be wrong, but I think he’s saying that you should treat pitching rates the same way you treat other ingredients. With a degree of accuracy. Going through the motions of making a starter without regard to pitch rate might make you feel like you’re doing something useful but it’s no guarantee that you’re going to get better beer.

I’m thinking that Bob’s “best practice” would be to buy or build a stir plate and learn the importance nutrients and oxygen play in making a starter. Until then you have a better shot of getting the proper cell count by direct pitching enough liquid yeast or using dry yeast. It's not being ignorant or lazy. It's using the resources you have available to you at the time to make the best beer possible.
^Fixed that for you. That probably would have prevented this massive communication breakdown between us.

Making a starter is a simple process. Do you agree or not?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #113
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6961 Times on 5892 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulli View Post
Yes, but it takes longer than 15 minutes to mix, boil, chill, and pitch. And you really need more than 2 cups of water.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #114
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
Nice attempt at a back pedal. You posted something stupid and when I call you on it you think that calling me an idiot and a troll will fix it.

I'm not the one quibbling over how long it takes water to boil. I'm not the one claiming I could make a starter in 15 minutes. That all you.
I'm not back peddling...Like I said, I think you're just a troll. And I'm not going to play any more.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #115
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Yes, but it takes longer than 15 minutes to mix, boil, chill, and pitch. And you really need more than 2 cups of water.
Are you really doing this too?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #116
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Guys, guys! I've discovered the ultimate in time saving! Quitting homebrewing and buying it at the store! I is genius...

Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #117
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6961 Times on 5892 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Are you really doing this too?
Well, I don't see how you can bring to a boil, boil for 10 minutes, and chill down to 70*f in an ice bath in 15 minutes....

And, a two cup starter is fine to determine solely if yeast is viable, but if you want the starter to get your yeast count up to recommended pitching rates, it needs to be bigger, and mrmalty.com is a great resource to determine size based on yeast age, pitching rate, aeration, etc...

Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #118
Sulli
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Yes, it definitely takes longer than 15 minutes, no argument there.

As far as the size of the starter is concerned; it depends on your inoculation rate. 2 cups would be fine if you were only inoculating with 25 billion cells.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #119
JustLooking
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulli View Post
^Fixed that for you. That probably would have prevented this massive communication breakdown between us.

Agreed! Funny how such a small detail could cause so much trouble.

Group hug

except for being called and idiot and a troll
how does he get away with that?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #120
Sulli
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManifesto View Post
Guys, guys! I've discovered the ultimate in time saving! Quitting homebrewing and buying it at the store! I is genius...
Problem is, I started brewing my own because all the grocery store beer in Salt Lake sucks.

Closed Thread