Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much water in full boil

Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
rswear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Too much water in full boil

Hi everyone,
I did my 2nd full boil today but I didnít lose as much water during boiling as I expected. When I put the wort in my carboy it was a little over 5 Ĺ gallons. I was using a 5 gallon extract kit for a cream stout. The OG was 1.040. The recipe said it should be 1.044. Does the extra water account for this? I went ahead and pitched the yeast, is there anything I can adjust at this point or should I just leave well enough alone?
Thanks

Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Alucard1983
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Extra water will lower the gravity. I would let ride and learn from this batch. It's not a mistake, it an artistic version of a beer with our own flair.

rswear Likes This 
Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Ultrazord
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Should probably be close enough. You may end up with a little less ABV than expected but taste should be similar.

I don't think there's really anything you can do at this point. Beer should still be fine.
rswear Likes This 
Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
rswear
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard1983 View Post
It's not a mistake, it an artistic version of a beer with our own flair.
I like that, lol

My inner-perfectionist will just have to get used to my artistic flair.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Alucard1983
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If the beer is drinkable its not a mistake. Helll you dont want every brew the same. You changed it up a little heheheh
rswear Likes This 
Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
It's not a mistake, it an artistic version of a beer with our own flair.
Love this. It is as true as it gets, and to be honest with that little difference you're still going to have a great beer.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

In the future, take a reading 10 min before flame out and adjust your boil time/final additions as needed to get the final numbers you want.

All in all, DWRHAHB. It'll all be fine.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
If th e beer is drinkable its not a mistake. Helll you dont want every brew the same. You changed it up a little heheheh
This might turn out to be your signature beer !

I am thinking of getting a refractometer so I can boil to gravity .. I am sure it will be fine

Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

I have a large stiring spoon that is long enough to reach the bottom of my 10 gallon brew kettle. I used a dremmel to etch in graduation marks on the spoon. Each line equals 1 gallon of volume. I use that to judge how long my boil needs to be to ensure the correct final volume I want going into the fermenter.
rswear Likes This 
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
I have a large stiring spoon that is long enough to reach the bottom of my 10 gallon brew kettle. I used a dremmel to etch in graduation marks on the spoon. Each line equals 1 gallon of volume. I use that to judge how long my boil needs to be to ensure the correct final volume I want going into the fermenter.
I do this exact same thing. I usually check my volumes every 15 minutes into the boil. I boil off at 2 gallons an hour (I have a large wide 15 gallon pot). So I know I need to boil off about half gallon every 15 minutes. I usually adjust the intensity of my boil based on volume. If I'm not boiling off fast enough, I turn up the burner a bit. Too much boil off and I'll turn it down. I've had good luck with this method. I also try to use this method in tandem with checking my gravities with a refractometer. I usually check my gravity 2 or 3 minutes before the end of my boil to make sure I'm pretty close to target gravity.

I've also had a few beers that were a little high on the volume side. They always turn out great! Just a slight deviation from what my main goal was.

rswear Likes This