Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > priming sugar in a keg-Did I ad too much?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
StittsvilleJames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default priming sugar in a keg-Did I ad too much?

I was going to bottle my beer today, a blonde ale, so I got my priming sugar and added 3/4 cup to 2 cups of boiling water and added it to my bottling bucket and started to rack my beer.

Then I went to get my bottle caps out and get them sanitized, and realized I only had 6 of them left.

So I ended up bottling 6 500 ml beers so I could have a couple I could bring to a party, and then kegged the rest of it, about 15 L or so(4-ish gallons). It's sitting at around 18 C (66-ish F) in my basement.

Will the kegged beer be over carbonated after 3 weeks? I read on a few threads that some people like to use 1/2 the priming sugar when naturally carbing a keg.

If that's the case, should I just purge the keg a few times to bring the carbonation down, or will the priming sugar be ok, considering the keg is not full?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
James

EDIT: Can't edit my title, and the spelling error is really bugging me..grrrr....

Reason: title spelling

Old 01-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by StittsvilleJames
I was going to bottle my beer today, a blonde ale, so I got my priming sugar and added 3/4 cup to 2 cups of boiling water and added it to my bottling bucket and started to rack my beer.

Then I went to get my bottle caps out and get them sanitized, and realized I only had 6 of them left.

So I ended up bottling 6 500 ml beers so I could have a couple I could bring to a party, and then kegged the rest of it, about 15 L or so(4-ish gallons). It's sitting at around 18 C (66-ish F) in my basement.

Will the kegged beer be over carbonated after 3 weeks? I read on a few threads that some people like to use 1/2 the priming sugar when naturally carbing a keg.

If that's the case, should I just purge the keg a few times to bring the carbonation down, or will the priming sugar be ok, considering the keg is not full?

James
I usually force carb my kegs but I've always read the proper ratio Is 1/3 cup corn sugar for carbonating a keg. You will probably be ok but I think burping the keg periodically would not be a bad idea.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 01-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1837 Times on 1448 Posts

I say don't worry about it for now, wait a couple/few weeks, then chill the keg to serving temp, hook up the gas at serving pressure, run 10 feet of 3/16" ID tubing to a faucet, and give it a try. If it's too highly carbed you can shut off the CO2 supply and put the keg on a burping regimen until you're happy with it...

Cheers!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StittsvilleJames View Post

James

EDIT: Can't edit my title, and the spelling error is really bugging me..grrrr....
Here's a little trick: double click on the title line on the "Bottling/Kegging" page next to your title.