Show us your Mead in a photo!!! - Page 42 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #411
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,142
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts


Great label webfoot!
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #412
webfoot
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Coquille, Oregon
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


The label is the names of the people who worked on it in Anglo-Saxon runes.
__________________
Every penny I earn brings Me one step closer to My goal of world domination.

http://www.oregonmicrofarm.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #413
VzRyder55
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 2


This is my very first try at mead and its still very young at 33 days old. I actually just posted a thread that I'd like a critique of it!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2658839915.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	81139  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #414
Dendion
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 54
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Just racked to secondary, two plain mead (if you will), two cinnamon, and two mixed berry, gallons. This is my first mead batch I've made. So far so good...
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3863266066.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	81219  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #415
shelly_belly
Uncle John's Band
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
shelly_belly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Blow Southerners!
Posts: 1,658
Liked 189 Times on 149 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendion View Post
Just racked to secondary, two plain mead (if you will), two cinnamon, and two mixed berry, gallons. This is my first mead batch I've made. So far so good...
Looking good! Welcome to HBT.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #416
Dendion
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 54
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly

Looking good! Welcome to HBT.
Thanks, started another batch right after this one, a cinnamon apple, cinnamon, Pom, and a wolf moon, recipe from the forum.. Those are looking good as well,

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #417
bconstant
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
New York, NY
Posts: 23
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts




Here's the family.

Starting from the left:

Orange Blossom Mead, started Feb 19, fully clarified, oaking, ready to age.
Blueberry Clover Mead, started Oct 15
Mulled Tupelo Mead, started Oct 15, nutmeg, ginger, and clover
Wildflower Mead, started Oct 15
4 varieties of Goldenrod Mead, started 28 Feb

And yes I know the ones on the right have too much headspace - I had glass marbles to fill it up but I wasn't good at racking back then and I just kept losing more and more product. So I'm just going to tough it out and bottle these soon anyway so hopefully I won't do too much damage. I'm afraid of watering them down.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #418
nitack
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 189
Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bconstant

Here's the family.

Starting from the left:

Orange Blossom Mead, started Feb 19, fully clarified, oaking, ready to age.
Blueberry Clover Mead, started Oct 15
Mulled Tupelo Mead, started Oct 15, nutmeg, ginger, and clover
Wildflower Mead, started Oct 15
4 varieties of Goldenrod Mead, started 28 Feb

And yes I know the ones on the right have too much headspace - I had glass marbles to fill it up but I wasn't good at racking back then and I just kept losing more and more product. So I'm just going to tough it out and bottle these soon anyway so hopefully I won't do too much damage. I'm afraid of watering them down.
There seem to be all sorts of myths floating around here about head space that I'd love to clear up. If your mead is doing even a small amount of fermenting, which I assume so since you have air locks on them, then they will not oxidize as long as you are not shaking them or moving them often. In a closed system like that there is no turbulence and the gasses will settle out based on molecular weight. You remember in chemistry class when your teacher layered multiple liquids to show you how density works in non soluble liquids? Well it is a bit like that. So for the purposes of this discussion we are only interested in two specific gasses carbon dioxide CO2 and oxygen O2. O2 has a molecular weight of 32, each oxygen molecule has an atomic weight of ~16, times 2 atoms per molecule. Now the CO2 has a molecular weight of 44, 32 for the two oxygens and 12 for the carbon. In a closed system (your carboy with an airlock) the heavier CO2 sits on the surface, protecting your mead from the O2. Now this only works if there is (or was) fermentation still going on to some degree since you last put the airlock on, and you are not disturbing the container often. Hope that helps.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #419
bconstant
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
New York, NY
Posts: 23
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nitack View Post
There seem to be all sorts of myths floating around here about head space that I'd love to clear up. If your mead is doing even a small amount of fermenting, which I assume so since you have air locks on them, then they will not oxidize as long as you are not shaking them or moving them often. In a closed system like that there is no turbulence and the gasses will settle out based on molecular weight. You remember in chemistry class when your teacher layered multiple liquids to show you how density works in non soluble liquids? Well it is a bit like that. So for the purposes of this discussion we are only interested in two specific gasses carbon dioxide CO2 and oxygen O2. O2 has a molecular weight of 32, each oxygen molecule has an atomic weight of ~16, times 2 atoms per molecule. Now the CO2 has a molecular weight of 44, 32 for the two oxygens and 12 for the carbon. In a closed system (your carboy with an airlock) the heavier CO2 sits on the surface, protecting your mead from the O2. Now this only works if there is (or was) fermentation still going on to some degree since you last put the airlock on, and you are not disturbing the container often. Hope that helps.
In this case, it doesn't matter because I can't help myself from trying these every now and again, and the fermentation is most certainly over. But your advice is well-taken, thanks for pointing that out. I'll remember it.

In addition - I keep reading that it's a good idea to keep the airlocks on because reasons. If I know for certain that these are finished with fermentation, should I just close them up completely? I guess continuing to use airlocks is good for safety's sake?

The one on the left is going into a dark wine cellar to bulk age for a year or so. I had planned on checking the lock every month to make sure it's still good. Should I just cork it instead?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #420
nitack
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 189
Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bconstant

In this case, it doesn't matter because I can't help myself from trying these every now and again, and the fermentation is most certainly over. But your advice is well-taken, thanks for pointing that out. I'll remember it.
In that case what I said is null and void. Only applies if fermentation was still active to some degree the last time you sealed it. That is the only way there would be enough carbon dioxide to buffer your mead.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
show mead motobrewer Mead Forum 11 11-19-2015 04:31 AM
What is your favorite honey for a Show Mead? Pennachi Mead Forum 4 12-28-2011 12:58 PM
Sourwood Dry-Medium Dry Show Mead BillyGHusk Mead Forum 5 08-10-2010 10:16 AM
First show mead aclimbatize Mead Forum 3 05-02-2010 06:49 AM
Show mead with TJ's Mesquite honey phished880 Mead Forum 15 04-25-2010 12:22 AM


Forum Jump