Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Anyone run two keezers at different temperatures?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
NineMilBill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default Anyone run two keezers at different temperatures?

Just wondering if anyone ran a multi-tap keezer and had a second kegerator, say specifically for stouts, that you had set warmer than your keezer. It would take a little bit more change to make it happen, but wouldn't that be ideal?

I haven't got into kegging yet, but want to. Are there any downsides to this I might be missing?

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything. If it's been discussed in depth, please link!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds ideal to me. Plus a 3rd for temperature control fermentation if I could. I think the main downside would be 1) $ 2) space 3) power (don't run them all on the same circuit breaker?)

#1 is my main issue, followed by #2 since I'm in an apartment.

You'd probably have a separate gas setup for the stout area too, unless you were running lines from a central tank since you'd need to consider whether or not you're using nitrogen.

There's nothing wrong with a slow buildup either. Currently I have one minifridge filled with bottles, sometimes I'll use it for a temperature controlled 1 gallon batch.. it's tiny. My food fridge/freezer (with beer and where I sometimes cold crash a 7 gallon bucket fermenter) and my 4 corny keg keezer. Not quite the same, but you know... It's just beer creep.

Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineMilBill View Post
Just wondering if anyone ran a multi-tap keezer and had a second kegerator, say specifically for stouts, that you had set warmer than your keezer. It would take a little bit more change to make it happen, but wouldn't that be ideal?

I haven't got into kegging yet, but want to. Are there any downsides to this I might be missing?

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything. If it's been discussed in depth, please link!
I built a single keezer with dual temperature capability using 2 freezers. I do not run beer lines to both sides, but it wouldn't be hard to modify it to do that.

Since mine was in a freestanding structure I built in my backyard, my goal was to have a keezer with a freezer. Wanted a place for Ice for mixed drinks, maybe frozen snack foods, etc.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-v...keezer-219768/

I really need to get busy and update the build thread.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 766

The keezer on the left is ales/lagers. The kegger on the right is stouts and dark beers. Eventually the 'stout' kegger will have nitro. At least thats the plan.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kegerators.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	43607  

Old 01-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
The keezer on the left is ales/lagers. The kegger on the right is stouts and dark beers. Eventually the 'stout' kegger will have nitro. At least thats the plan.
That's exactly what I had in mind. And the nitro would be icing on the cake. Awesome set-up.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 766

I had the Kenmore kegger for years before I started brewing my own. The hobby quickly out paced the poor thing so, the keezer was the next obvious creation.