Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Beer for friends wedding?

Old 05-11-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
Professor Frink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default Beer for friends wedding?

So I'm a bridesman (I know, kind of weird) in a friend's wedding, and I just found out that they can't have kegs at their reception but they can have bottles of beer. I was thinking of doing a brew this weekend to bring to the reception, but it would have to be ready in 4 weeks. I was thinking maybe I could pull off a Belgian or a Hefe in that amount of time, any suggestions for what kind of beer I can do on short notice, thanks

Old 05-11-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Any loop holes that can be used? 25L bottles?
Hire the room next door and set up a bar?

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 05-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Your close on the time limit, but you could pull of a nice pale ale or definately a hefe as long as you are willing to skip the secondary. Figure about 10 days in primary and typically three weeks in bottles, which you might miss by a few days, but probably not enough that anyone would notice.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Saison. It doesn't need to be clear if you don't want it to, and tastes GREAT 2-3 weeks in the bottles (only gets better with time).

Plus, it's the BMC drinkers homebrew. My roommate and I figure we can turn any BMCer into a homebrew drinker with one of our saisons. It's yellow and fizzy like their BMC, but with a real taste and a 5-7% kick.

See my thread in the recipe DB, and replace the sorachi ace with something a little more to your style.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks jezter6, I think I'll try that Saison recipe, I know most of the people at the wedding would like that type of beer, plus I have a bunch of those ingredients left over from my last Blue Moon Clone.

I'm thinking of doing a 10 gallon batch of the Saison, I have a 48 qt. MLT, I figure that should be big enough. My kettle is 7.5 gallons, is that big enough for a 10 gallon batch?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

This has been discussed before, and it requires a really good understanding of the wedding population. While you might see it as a nice gesture, people who try a bottle may not like your brew one bit. This can lead to hurt feelings, tension, and a strain on the relationship.

You're better off letting the wedding couple select their alcohol. Save your brew for the bach party or a private, post-wedding party at some point. Weddings are better left to Miller and Bud, since people will be dancing and need to consume a lot of water.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
This has been discussed before, and it requires a really good understanding of the wedding population. While you might see it as a nice gesture, people who try a bottle may not like your brew one bit. This can lead to hurt feelings, tension, and a strain on the relationship.

You're better off letting the wedding couple select their alcohol. Save your brew for the bach party or a private, post-wedding party at some point. Weddings are better left to Miller and Bud, since people will be dancing and need to consume a lot of water.
I tend to agree. For every person that likes it, there will likely be 10 bottles with a sip or two gone and left on the table. Besides, the general population wouldn't know how to pour a homebrew from the bottle unless you were planning on using a counter-filler or beer gun.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I tend to agree. For every person that likes it, there will likely be 10 bottles with a sip or two gone and left on the table.
Especially with an IPA. A lot of people will dislike the bitterness. On the other hand, my Amarillo Cream Ale is a PERFECT light beer.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 456 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Almost anything except a hefe is still going to taste pretty green after four weeks. I wouldn't even try and push a pale ale out that quickly.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 05-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMerk22
Thanks jezter6, I think I'll try that Saison recipe, I know most of the people at the wedding would like that type of beer, plus I have a bunch of those ingredients left over from my last Blue Moon Clone.

I'm thinking of doing a 10 gallon batch of the Saison, I have a 48 qt. MLT, I figure that should be big enough. My kettle is 7.5 gallons, is that big enough for a 10 gallon batch?
Well...the Saison is AG, unless you find a conversion process. So, you need boil like 11.5+ gallons to end up with 10 in fermentation. Basic math says...not going to make it in one boil. Of course, no reason not to do 2 batches in a row...start mashing #2 while #1 is in the pot.

Just beware of the things the other guys said...not everyone is going to like it, but it's a good way to try and introduce them to good beer.

I'm planning a wedding alt for my buddy who's getting married next fall.