Irish Red Ale - Style Questions and Yeast? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Irish Red Ale - Style Questions and Yeast?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

I'm going to brew an Irish Red Ale on Saturday (or maybe Sunday) and I'm looking to do this to style and include it in some beers I'm entering in a local competition in March. The style category is 9D.

The last Red I brewed, I used Edinburgh yeast (WLP028) but I wasn't brewing that one to style, really. One advantage to me of of using Edinburgh is I use it a lot and know it well, am comfortable with how to manage it. I was also considering using a tried-and-true Nottingham, fermented very low to get as clean a yeast profile as possible, so that the malts, especially the Munich and caramel, can shine through.

I've never used the Irish ale yeast (WLP004), but wonder if I should, because, well, I'm brewing an Irish Red. The description on the White Labs site says it comes from a stout brewery, though, which doesn't seem to really apply to brewing a Red.

Thoughts, suggestions, musings?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
rjsnau
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

FWIW- I just did an Irish Ale a month or two ago and used the Wyeast Irish ale yeast and I don't really like it. Seems to be alot of esters in there. I think it is to style but for my personal taste buds I wish I went with a clean fermenting yeast, maybe even a dry yeast. Something like a Nottingham at the lower end of their temp range to keep it really clean and let the malt shine through.

Edit: I controlled the fermentation temp to 67 degrees the whole time so it is not from a warm fermentation.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7728 Times on 5426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I wonder if judges would take off points for not having the fruity esters?
Certainly not! Here are the flavor guidelines:
Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.

It can have diacetyl, which is allowed, and sometimes it's nice with a buttery toffee taste, but even though I know it's "allowed", it's still no my preference!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #5

I doing one myself this weekend using WY1338.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
SouthBay
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Olympia, WA
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I actually dislike the WLP004 Irish Ale yeast. I have really constant fermentation temps, but it still turned out with too many esters. I've retreated and like to cool ferment English Ale yeast instead, which i was more familiar with, and let the malt character show.

I like to think of a good Irish Red as a colorful, very modestly hopped, malty version of an amber ale, with a slight roastiness to it.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
truckndad
Recipes 

Mar 2010
nine mile falls, wa
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I did an Irish Red just a couple weeks ago and used Wyeast 1084. It's still in the fermenter though, so I can't really give you a critique.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

I know everyone is dying of suspense -which yeast did Pappers use in his Irish Red????

I decided to use the Edinburgh, basically because I've used it before and like it.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7728 Times on 5426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I know everyone is dying of suspense -which yeast did Pappers use in his Irish Red????

I decided to use the Edinburgh, basically because I've used it before and like it.
Don't you use that strain for lots of different styles, as a house strain?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2006
Albuquerque, NM
Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts

I love Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale. I've made several batches of Irish Red in the past few years using 1084 and I have enjoyed every batch (competition judges have enjoyed them as well). I always ferment it in the mid-low 60s, targeting 64F. I get very few esters from 1084 compared to some of the English strains I use for other beers.

I also use 1084 for my American IPAs and Black IPAs. I find that it works fast, attenuates well, and doesn't leave too many odd flavors behind. Something about the yeast seems to complement citrusy hop flavors and aromas.

Primary: Nada
Kegged: Beers
Bottled: Meads