Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Help me grow my beer palate
Old 01-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help me grow my beer palate

Ever since i started drinking beer I have always stuck with the types of beers I like. Stouts and Porters of all flavors (coffee, chocolate, plain, oatmeal, you name it). I also like beers like Deschutes Dead Guy Ale, and Hopworks Deluxe Organic Ale. As well as most every Red ale I have tried. I am not a fan of IPAs (outside of Hop Czar) and Pilsners (or a lot of other light beers).

I seem to like beers with good flavor, and not a lot of hoppy taste. But I am looking at expanding my tastes. I haven't tried a lot of german styles, or any unique types of beers yet. So based on that knowledge, what does the great beer brain trust suggest I try. Either styles or specifics types of brews from craft breweries. I really want to try more to expand my palate so I can start making more of a variety of home-brews.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could try some barleywine. I like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot if you can find it. There are plenty others. I was thinking you might like it due to the stouts you like. They are very malty. Many of them are hopped quite a bit, but that is mostly to balance the malt, and it usually doesn't come out as a big IPA. They are stong too, maybe 9% to 12%. Give one a try.

Mmm, beer.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

I really like Barleywine as well. Some of them are sweet like stouts and very high ABV which I personally like.

I didn't used to like many IPA's either...wasn't a fan of super hoppy beers, but now I LOVE them. I'm not sure what happened, but I think what really turned me on to them were the very citrusy hoppy beers, not so much the piney ones...favorites i've had that fit this description are Firestone Walker Double Jack, Lagunitas Sucks, Widmer Nelson, Heavy Seas Loose Cannon...they all smell amazing and taste just as good.

If you want to get more into IPA's maybe find out some beers hopped with citrusy hops available in your area and see if you like them?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

Tasting Beer is an excellent book and sounds right down your line. I highly recommend it.