Heating Elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruskii

Reaction score
I am thinking about making an electric brewing system. I've started my planning but I need some clarification on heating elements.

First of all, I need to find a circular heating element. I will have issues using regular stick heating element. I want the heating element to go around the edge of the container on the bottom.

As far as I understand it is preferrable to use Ultra Low density for heating elements. I have a 20 gallon pot in which I want to boil probably around 17 gallons. I am not sure how many watts does the heating element need to have.

Also, I dont understand 100% the concept of PID for heating elements.

Thank you fellow brewers.

There is a calculator for volume/watts here
As far as the PID goes, They read temperature IN(from kettle), sent control signals OUT(to a relay or contact) which then turns on or off the element depending on the set point and other parameters entered into the PID. The difference between a PID and say a Johnstone A419 temp controller is that the PID has AI and can decide to turn the power on and off many times per min to keep set temp much more accurate than the just on or off of other refrigeration type controllers. You could read this for more info.
RIMS For Dummies

Thanks for the info Stevo.

Do you know of any heating element that is circular in shape versus just a straight line?

Thanks for the info Stevo.

Do you know of any heating element that is circular in shape versus just a straight line?

that is not a standard size/shape, so if you were to find one, it wouldnt be anywhere near the $10-20 that common, mass produced elements are. and the chances of finding one that is the diameter and power rating that you want is almost zero, unfortunately. if you wanted to spend $150-250 per element, you could have them custom made.

audger said:
that is not a standard size/shape, so if you were to find one, it wouldnt be anywhere near the $10-20 that common, mass produced elements are. and the chances of finding one that is the diameter and power rating that you want is almost zero, unfortunately. if you wanted to spend $150-250 per element, you could have them custom made.

Agreed. After you mentioned it I looked and all I found was dry circle elements. They was one that was dry or wet and could be formed in any shape. I'll try to post a link later.

First of all, I need to find a circular heating element. I will have issues using regular stick heating element. I want the heating element to go around the edge of the container on the bottom.

This is impractical. Why can't you use one of the heating elements that everyone else is using?

You can get 3kw bend to shape heating elements for about $55 each from the UK that would do what you want, but shipping will not be cheap.

those are interesting, albeit expensive at $100 each, shipped... wonder what voltage they are though, it doesnt say.

220-240v per the auction. I also forgot to mention, that you need to purchase the "gland" kits in order to mount these to your kettle too!

I am really curious as to what issues you would have with a regular heating element that would be solved by a circular element, and still be more cost effective than buying a new kettle. Are you trying to hide your electric brewing upgrade from SWMBO or something? ;)

You can get 3kw bend to shape heating elements for about $55 each from the UK that would do what you want, but shipping will not be cheap. That and you'll probably need at least two to boil 17 gallons, and maybe even three.

HE7230 72" / 6ft LONG 3000 watt 3kw ROD HEATING ELEMENT | eBay

I use these elements. They are great! If sharp bends are required they are bendable with a pipe bender, for bigger radius they can be bendt around a pot or keg etc. They can also be used for dry applications, which means they tolerate dry fiering.

The glands are extra. I mounted mine like this:
-drilled a 8mm (5/16") hole trough a 12mm (1/2") stainless bolt, in the lathe
-soldered one bolt on each end of the element using Harris stay brite #8
with the hex facing innward, threads outward.
-O-ring on the bolt and trough a hole in the kettle, nut on the outside.

There is enough threds on the bolt on the outside to slip on a plastic box to house the connections.

Element formed to the curvature of the kettle are great for whirlpooling, leaving the trub and hops in the center.

Back