Lifting 10+gal kegs/fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MG-

Reaction score
I'm curious how those of you move your fermentors around especially into chest freezers by yourself?

Anyone make some sort of pulley/crane system? I'm trying to avoid hurting some backs down the road.

Probably easier and smarter in the long run to get an upright freezer or fridge for fermenting. Or build a fermenting chamber. A 5 gallon corny into the keezer is as much as I will do.

I don't really keg and when I do it isn't into a keg that large, but if I was an upright setup is the answer.

As for the fermenters my 15.5G and both 33G tanks are on rolling stands with wheel locks.

I bought it from Harbor Freight. Plus with those "25% Off One Item" coupons they send out regularly, the price isn't bad. Plus, it's beats the hell out of trying to lift a keg full of water or wort. Here's what I got:

Hydraulic Lift Table - 500 Lb. Capacity

image_3075.jpg

I just jack the fermentation vessel up to the appropriate height and slide it in. I use a fridge though, not a freezer. But still. It's a heck of a lot easier to move.

Lift nothing full. That is my moto and I do well with it. I push things with CO2 or a pump. I also do/did some decent planning ahead so I do not need to lift full vessels.

I have a Harbor Freight block and tackle I plan to put in a rafter above the center of a fermentation freezer. I can hook onto the carboy handle and lift and lower into the chamber and slide across the bottom.

Huaco said:
I have a Harbor Freight block and tackle I plan to put in a rafter above the center of a fermentation freezer. I can hook onto the carboy handle and lift and lower into the chamber and slide across the bottom.

You don't mean the little handle that goes around the neck of the carboy, I hope?

Zamial said:
Lift nothing full. That is my moto and I do well with it. I push things with CO2 or a pump. I also do/did some decent planning ahead so I do not need to lift full vessels.

So how do you move the beer from fermenter to fridge? I'm thinking of making a wood frame for carboys and covering it with carpet so I can use a hand truck.

I use a diastaltic pump to move my beer. Bought it off of eBay for $70 shipped. Love it because I only have to sanitize the one silicone line. Very sanitary.

Carboy handles are NOT for lifting full carboys. This will put a lot of stress on the neck which may result in it breaking.

The handle that goes around the neck is only meant to help you hold onto the carboy when doing things like cleaning. They are NOT meant to hold any weight. They will rip the neck right off of the carboy and turn your precious beer into a bomb with glass shrapnel. Buy a brewhauler or make one out of ropes. Pretty sure I saw directions for a rope one in the DIY a while back.

Carboy handles are NOT for lifting full carboys. This will put a lot of stress on the neck which may result in it breaking.

Dang... then what the heck are they supposed to be used for? I just bought 3 of those things!

I suppose I could make up some type of bag with nylon strap handles / canvas bag to hoist with...

The handle that goes around the neck is only meant to help you hold onto the carboy when doing things like cleaning. They are NOT meant to hold any weight. They will rip the neck right off of the carboy and turn your precious beer into a bomb with glass shrapnel. Buy a brewhauler or make one out of ropes. Pretty sure I saw directions for a rope one in the DIY a while back.

Can anyone show some pictures of this neck snapping in action?

Can anyone show some pictures of this neck snapping in action?

I am not going to fill a glass carboy, suspend it from the neck until it is destroyed, while videoing it, just for your edification. No to mention how dangerous it would be to do and expensive.

EVERYTHING I have read on those handles says do not use to lift full carboys.

To answer some questions. I have a fermentation shelf and that is not to much different from a freezer/fridge. The vessel just needs to be slightly higher than the receiving vessel for a decent siphon. You can push the finished beer into a keg/bottling bucket without lifting the carboy if you can siphon or push with CO2 (WARNING:NEVER PRESSURIZE A CARBOY WITH MORE THAN 2 PSI, They are not designed to withstand pressure!) to the vessel. You can also use a few specialized pumps to transfer finished beer.

Then you can lift out the mostly empty vessel for cleaning or what ever you want to do. I suggest that you build a pump driven carboy/keg washer and you lift it onto that for cleaning. Sanitize and refill in place, it really is not that hard. Basically if you are not walking around with a carboy, the less chance you have at breaking one. Almost every thread where a glass carboy was broken was someone walking around with it.

If you have to lift one use a milk crate or a brew buddy hauler (I think that is what they are called) They are designed to with stand the weight and that takes the pressure off of the carboy and gives you solid handles to hold onto.

I am not going to fill a glass carboy, suspend it from the neck until it is destroyed, while videoing it, just for your edification. No to mention how dangerous it would be to do and expensive.

EVERYTHING I have read on those handles says do not use to lift full carboys.

Then a neck has never snapped on you while using a handle. I was inquiring since I use my handles as handles...no neck snapping. I am seeking first hand knowledge not fear mongering. thanks though.

The op wants to lift 10 gal with out lifting. As far as moving 10 gal without lifting it, I think the options have been mentioned. A lift, pulley, pump or co2. A lift or pulley will still probably require some sort of lifting or sliding.
Using a fridge that front opens will at least make the lift a little shorter. Remember to lift with your back in a jerking motion. ;)

Then a neck has never snapped on you while using a handle. I was inquiring since I use my handles as handles...no neck snapping. I am seeking first hand knowledge not fear mongering. thanks though.

I am not fear mongering lol. Not only does it add extra stress to the neck of the carboy, what if the 1 tiny pin/handle fails? That also has happened. I am sure if you look on the internet you will find stories of this very thing.

Personally you can juggle them full of boiling water on a tight rope for all I care. I said what I had to. I warned anyone that is planing to use those handles to move full carboys to try to use something better/safer.

you can juggle them full of boiling water on a tight rope for all I care.

you're good, I was just putting on my oven mits to do just that. probably no pics though, the dog isn't a very good cameraman.

For the record I don't swing them over my head with the handle. If they are full I just use the handle to pick them up, then put the other arm under the bottom to carry. Too old and stubborn to change. zamial you're ok with me, at least you are using glass and not plastic. :)

-cheers

This is good info to know... I think I will look into making some type of hoist bag with nylon straps. A draw string to close it around the neck... Heck, it will help keep light out too! old seat belt straps should do the trick!

My conicals have casters on them that even the wife can wheel into the fermentation chamber. Kegging is done by pressurizing the conical with C02 and pushing the beer out of the upper valve, through an inline filter, and into kegs. To fill the fermenter from the boil kettle it just goes through a pump into the bottom valve of the fermenter. My wife is pretty strong, but at 5'3 and 110 pounds, she does not need to lift equipment like that when I'm not home.

I know on the pots I use it specifically says not to move them if they have liquid in them. The winch is a good solution so long as you are moving pots like keggles around.

Yeah our pots defiantly require a two man lift. I don't brew without my wife, and she won't brew without me at home, so no one gets hurt.

Back