Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Rehabbing an old monster freezer

Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
BasementBrewmistress
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Rehabbing an old monster freezer

Paid too much for an old, nasty 15' cu freezer on Craigslist. Been reading threads on restoration, including JoeC's Monsterator, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on dealing with rust.

Wondering if I can just clean it up with soap/bleach and use this for rust abatement? Or do I still have to sand it?

It's in the garage now, but will unfortunately/eventually go on a covered patio (that was another thread) unless my husband figures out how to fit in through the sliding glass door.

Not sure how this whole conversion thing will turn out....

As you can see, it's dirtier than it is rusty.

A bit more rust on the backside...seal is very moldy.

Rust on the floor along the floor and edges.

Reason: Math fail...will update later

Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wondering about the rust myself. I've got a TON in my fermentation chest freezer.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Is yours a preexisting problem or from condensation (or both)? I noticed mine had a good sized pool of water after holding above freezing for a few days.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to pick up a quart of Rust-Oleum from Lowes tomorrow and try treating with that. Will let you know how it works.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBrewmistress View Post
Is yours a preexisting problem or from condensation (or both)? I noticed mine had a good sized pool of water after holding above freezing for a few days.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to pick up a quart of Rust-Oleum from Lowes tomorrow and try treating with that. Will let you know how it works.
Mine had rust when I bought it off Craigslist, but it's gotten MUCH worse ever since. I've noticed quite a bit of condensation in there at times. I'm sure that damp rid stuff would help, but I don't know how to treat the already rusting areas to stop it from spreading. Anxious to see how yours works out.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
CPORT546
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm guessing you are wanting to deal with the rust so you can paint it? If you came into my paint store with this problem here is what I would advise.

1. You need to remove all loose rust. Stiff wire brushes work the best. Sand paper is the next most common method.
2. Next I would clean any dirt off the rest of the areas that still have paint on them and going to be top coated when you address the rusty spots.
3. Next if the newly cleaned areas with existing paint are shiny I would dull the surface by sanding. Then make sure and remove all dust from sanding.
4. Prime the area with a primer that is an oil based, rust inhibitive primer.
5. Top coat with a rust inhibitive top coat. At least two coats.
6. Make sure that you let the paint cure at least a week before putting the freezer into regular use. Paint will be dry to touch but not fully hardened for at least a week possible longer at lower temperatures.

Make sure you are in well ventilated areas when using oil based paints. If you are in a garage and open the door make sure since it is winter you are reading the back of the can for the application temperatures. Paint applied outside this temperature range will surely fail. Keep in mind application temperature is both and and the surface temp of what you are painting.

Hope this helps and was what you were looking for. Feel free to post any follow up questions and I will try to answer them.
Upcoming: Watermelon Wheat, Caz Willie IPA, Mosaic PA, Spriced Cherry Dubbel

Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Is there a chemical substitute for sanding? To be frank, washing the freezer today made me want to pop a few Vicodin and take a nap. Under different circumstances, I'd do exactly what you recommended.

We'll figure something out if there's no alternative. Just trying to avoid unnecessary pain and suffering.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
CPORT546
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes there are liquid sanders, they should be in the section with the paint solvents. Make sure that read the instructions as most of them are time sensitive how long you have to wait before you can paint/prime and how long you have to wait before it wears off.
Upcoming: Watermelon Wheat, Caz Willie IPA, Mosaic PA, Spriced Cherry Dubbel

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Smashing
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Do you have an electric sander? Or a angle grinder you can put a wire wheel on - even a drill with wore wheel? They'll save you tons of effort.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. Used a wire brush attachment with my cordless drill. Works ok on stripping small sections of paint and taking the surface rust down. Not so great on the big stuff.

Tried naval jelly (sitting about 45 mins) on the deeper rust spots, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I decided to do another section with the Rustoleum rusty metal paint. Will see if the rust creeps back through.

My joints are feeling pretty angry, so I'm trending towards skipping the sanding and just laying down the Rustoleum rusty metal primer. If I was 100%, I'd sand the whole thing, then prime it.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm an idiot. When I sanded some of the rust spots, they turned black - does this mean they'd already been treated and the surface rust returned?

I'm going to scrub off the naval jelly today once the garage heats up. Hopefully it'll be warm enough to prime the so I can work on the interior rust this weekend.