Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What I did for beer today

Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #2031
jperry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Made a huge mess bottling my ddh ipa... still trying to figure out how to get this hop reside/sticky oily spots of my better bottle.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #2032
thisoneguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Pre-ordered 7 pounds of hops.

People Like This 
Old 09-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #2033
tuckferrorists

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy
Wtf?!? What are you brewing?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #2034
thisoneguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckferrorists

Wtf?!? What are you brewing?
I'm just trying to make sure I have Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra for my IPAs and IIPAs in 2013... I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on them before they sold out, so I ordered a bunch.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #2035
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1458 Times on 922 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I pasteurized my cider using Pappers' method. Glad I started checking the carbonation levels right away - the bottles were fully carbed in 24 hours!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #2036
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1225 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy View Post
I'm just trying to make sure I have Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra for my IPAs and IIPAs in 2013... I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on them before they sold out, so I ordered a bunch.
Won't hops "go bad" in a matter of weeks/months, even if refrigerated and vaccuum-packed? I've been under the belief that I shouldn't order anything (grains/hops/yeast) more than a month before I'm ready to brew with it. Am I being unnecessarily paranoid?

Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #2037
thisoneguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat

Won't hops "go bad" in a matter of weeks/months, even if refrigerated and vaccuum-packed? I've been under the belief that I shouldn't order anything (grains/hops/yeast) more than a month before I'm ready to brew with it. Am I being unnecessarily paranoid?
I think you are being unnecessarily paranoid. I keep mine in the freezer, vacuum-sealed by food-saver and then put into brown paper bags. Everything I've read says that hops stored under vacuum in a freezer should keep for a pretty long time, since heat and oxygen are what cause hops to go bad. I wouldn't keep them around for too long, but a year isn't a problem. I still have hops from the 2011 crop that haven't noticeably degraded since I got them (at least as far as my senses can detect).

Also, if you store uncrushed grains in a cool, dry place in an airtight (or close to it) container, it will keep for at least a few months. That's an argument for getting a mill... you can buy base malt in bulk and just store it until you need it (within reason).

Last, dry yeast will stay viable for quite some time (1-2 years, I believe) if kept in its original packaging in the refrigerator. Liquid yeast degrades much faster, but I've heard stories of people using liquid yeast that is well beyond its "expiration date" with no ill effect after making a 2 or 3 step starter. My LHBS sells discounted vials/smack packs of "expired" yeast; I've never used one, but I've seen people buy them with that in mind.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #2038
Whattawort
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Got my hands on 8lb of Canadian 2 row, 2lb of biscuit, 2lb of vienna, 2lbs of munich, and 2lbs of crystal 40L. Also got 3 bags of miscellaneous hops (about 3-5 pouches in each bag) and some new keg posts. FOR FREE!!!

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #2039
TedsExcellentAdventure
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

bottling up an IPA and stepping up my starter of WLP001 California Ale Yeast for either a Dead Guy clone or a DFH 60 minute clone cant decide yet, anythoughts?

"Beer speaks, people mumble." - Lagunitas

Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #2040
brewtus_
I say, lookey here son...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy View Post
I'm with you. I pre-ordered 5 pounds of Citra and Simcoe the other day. Today I added 5 pounds each of Centennial and Amarillo. It sucks running out of good sources of these hops mid year only to wait until fall to get them again. Plus, I've read that the 2012 hop harvest looks somewhat hit and miss, so you have to figure that prices will be up and supply will be down in 2013 for all these varietals. I don't plan on buying hops at $3-4 per ounce next summer.