Sam adams boston lager clone fermentation question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sam adams boston lager clone fermentation question

Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Collikunas
Recipes 

Jan 2012

On Saturday we brewed the Sam's Boston lager clone and it doesn't appear to be fermenting like the other beers we've brewed. The recipe calls for the primary fermentation at the temp range of 47-52•F. I'm wondering if since it's so cold the lager yeast aren't as vigorous as ale yeasts? Or do you think I got a batch of inactive yeast? Should I take the specific gravity to check?

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 520 Times on 395 Posts

As a general rule lager fermentation is not as aggresive as an ale fermentation. Also, for a lager you want a huge yeast starter. If it was a kit and you just used the yeast that came with it, you probably underpitched and it will take even longer to get going, or finish.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
acefaser
Recipes 

Feb 2011
firestone, co
Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

We cant help unless you tell us what temp the beer is at and how much yeast you pitched.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Collikunas
Recipes 

Jan 2012

Thanks,

We pitched it at 54 degrees and it was in a premeasured vial we bought at the brewer supply store and it is currently at 50 degrees.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
mkeckjr
Beer Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Boston, Massachusetts
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

The people who've responded above are correct. You need a fairly large starter when brewing with lager yeast. See here for info. You can calculate proper pitching rates/starter sizes (in billions of yeast cells) here.