National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > The High Density Element Wort Scorching Myth

Old 01-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Default The High Density Element Wort Scorching Myth

I keep seeing "High Density Elements Will Scorch Your Wort" in threads.

I thought we debunked and put that myth to bed long ago.

Now, an HD element, directly in the MASH, is not a good idea. Grain can stick to the element, scorch, and burn. But that is in the MASH.

I run 2000 watt, 120v, High Density elements in my BK all the time. In sixty some odd brews, I have NEVER noticed a hint of scorching. And quite a few of these brews were very pale. You may notice a white coating on the element after the brew. That appears to be cooked on protein. It has no taste, and comes off after light scrubbing.

Now, there are some caveats. Just like using gas, you want to turn the elements off when you add extract. Make sure the extract is well dissolved before you turn the elements back on. Make sure nylon hop bags never come in contact with live elements.

High Density elements work just fine in the boil.

derwood Likes This 
Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
thorongil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_kirks View Post
i run 2000 watt, 120v, high density elements in my bk all the time.... I have never noticed a hint of scorching.

High density elements work just fine in the boil.

+1
“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
HearthstoneBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

+1. I have the Rheem copper element, 2000 W, 120V, as recommended by jkarp in my Countertop Brutus clone.