First time, flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattamue

Reaction score
Hello home brew talk,

First brew and everything went well. After about 6 days of bottle conditioning I lose carbonation within 30s and end up drinking a flat beer. Pours with a good head and bubbles well for that first moment, but flat as water after that. Do I need to give the beer more time in the bottle or could something else be wrong?

The rule of thumb is it takes a three weeks to fully carbonate a bottle conditioned beer.

Beyond just the carbonation factor the flavors blend more the longer it sits. The common analogy is Spaghetti tastes better the next day.

6 days is probably not enough time but it also depends on the temp the bottles are contitioning at.

Mine run about 3 weeks for an average gravity beer at about 68°-70°F. I have had some carb up sooner but not too often. After they are carbed I refregerate for at least 24 hours to let the CO2 absorb a little more.

Of course bigger beers can take a lot longer to carb!

Patience generally wins out every time!

It sounds like everything is working fine since CO2 is obviously being produced but if you have not chilled your beers for at least 24 hours the carbonation will not stay in them for very long.

... Spaghetti tastes better the next day.

Ack!! My Italian friends would shudder to hear this. Spaghetti (and basically all pastas) must be eaten within an hour of being cooked, at most (and really should be cooked within an hour of being made).

...tick tok ... on day 11 now of Batch 1 in the bottles, day 10 of Batch 2 in the primary...

I've found through my own experiences that 2 weeks is better for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation. But one week is better than a day or 3. One day is not enough to get co2 into solution,even though it does work better on a cold solution. Especially darker/heavier beers. They def take at least 2 weeks after longer conditioning time to get decent head & carbonation.

Hello home brew talk,

First brew and everything went well. After about 6 days of bottle conditioning I lose carbonation within 30s and end up drinking a flat beer. Pours with a good head and bubbles well for that first moment, but flat as water after that. Do I need to give the beer more time in the bottle or could something else be wrong?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

--------------GOTO THIS THREAD------------------

:mug:

Ack!! My Italian friends would shudder to hear this. Spaghetti (and basically all pastas) must be eaten within an hour of being cooked, at most (and really should be cooked within an hour of being made).

...tick tok ... on day 11 now of Batch 1 in the bottles, day 10 of Batch 2 in the primary...

I think that he is referring to the sauce and not the actual pasta...

By the by,I neglected to mention that 6 days in the bottle is def too young. 3 weeks at 70F is the standard for average gravity beers. I've found 4-5 weeks is better for carbing & conditioning before the aformentioned fridge time. Amazing how a beer & a couple of shots clears your mind...:drunk:

Back