Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick question about yeast amounts in recipes
Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Fruitiness is more often associated with certain yeast strains like saisons and hefeweizens, and british yeasts can throw unpleasant fruity esters where they don't belong, when fermented too warm.

One thing to know is:Underpitching flavors are never appreciated in any drink. You want to be pitching the correct amount of yeast for your beer (if beer) and look to get your yeast esters by controlling the temperature carefully.

If you're doing exclusively cider, however, you really should get a cider-only yeast. Your results will be much better. You should still pitch the proper amount and ferment at the correct temperature, though.
Hmmm, ok, I will. The guy at the local brewing supply shop suggested some safale-05 ale yeast, so that's what I've been using this time. I'll get some cider yeast next time. What's the difference though? I thought they're all Saccharomyces Cerevisiae?

Yet another improvement though...the time before this one, I just used baking yeast, derp

Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 20

us-05 is real clean fermenting so it'll probly work fine for cider but i also thought wine or champagne yeast was typically used. heffeweizen yeast is what usually throws fruity flavors in beer. It tastes like banana or cloves. That might be an interesting flavor in your cider
PrimaryLambic (WYeast blend), Local Lambic (spontaneous fermentation), Flanders Red with ECY02, Sour Rye (w/BugCounty)
SecondaryFlanders Red, Frambrozen, Grimm V2
Bottled Burton Ale, Wet Hopped IPA, Roese Kriek, "Grimm" RIS 23%, Saison Du Flood,"Warrior" IIPA 17%, "Oaked Warrior" IIPA 17%
Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout