Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash in motion?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Likes Given: 1

Default Mash in motion?

Has anyone investigated the relationship between how much the mash is stirred and the mash efficiency? I would have to assume that lots of stirring would improve enzimatic action and help maintain a temperature balance. This is assuming that you can stir it without losing a lot of heat from an open lid and avoid some nasty oxidation problems.

Keg: Beta Wheat
Tap Alpha: Jamil's Black Widow Porter
Tap Beta: Beta Blonde

Check out my progress.

Website in progress.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, big brewers do it (BMC and others), so it must help efficiency. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to rig something up using a high-torque, low-speed motor and a bit of ingenuity. I think there's this kind of a setup in DIY.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yeah, somebody uses an ice cream maker motor, I think.
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Initially stirring up the mash helps to eliminate hot/cold spots in the mash. Once the mash temp stabilizes it's best to leave it alone. Constant stirring, among other things can grossly effect your wort's clarity.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Liked 503 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 115

IIRC, alpha amylase is highly water-soluable, so stirring should be unnecessary. Not sure about beta, though.

Usually, when people do have some kind of automated stirrer, it seems to be because they are somehow adding heat to the mash (with steam, or a RIMS/HERMS setup, or something like that) and they need to make sure that heat gets dispersed evenly through the mash. I don't know about how the big boys are set up to know whether that's the case for them or not.
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana
Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
The Pol
Liked 89 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I stir all of my mashes briefly every 15 minutes during the mash... why? The tuns lose heat from the lids and the sides, causing colder areas in the mash. So I simply spend 15 seconds mixing it up, not beating the heck out of it, but mixing it, to help assimilate temps. Never experienced darker brews because of it.