Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottler without spigget tap.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
venquessa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottler without spigget tap.

I'm doing a bit of equipment shopping and the only bottler I can find in the UK (on ebay) comes with a tap to put into your bin. My bin doesn't have a hole for said tap.

The only bottler I can find is a "Youngs little bottler". Has anyone used this and if so, can you check if a normal syphon tube will fit into/over the end, rather than using the tap?

I suppose the other option is to cut a hole for the tap with a dremel, but I don't have a hole saw bit.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
BierFest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the Youngs little bottler. I bored a Youngs fermentation bucket to take the bottler. However I still get a small drip where it has not sealed properly when bottling.
The tube from the bottler could probably be made to fit your syphon - however will that not kill the syphon if you are constantly stopping it every time you change bottle?
I have been wondering if i simply buy one of those buckets that already come with a tap - then i might be able to fit the tube from the bottler on this and I should have no leaks.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I use a Fermtech bottle filler attached to the tube on my racking cane and my fermentation bucket. No holes, no leaks, no worries.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
venquessa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Syphon shouldn't die unless the bottler allows air back up the pipe.

I'm already considering making a hole in the top for an airlock grommet. I wonder how much of a mess I could make cutting a spigget hole too.

Any tips? I don't have a drill, but I do have a dremel. Trouble is the biggest bit I have is tiny, like about 2mm.

Just checked and I have a 2mm drill bit to start the hole, and I'm assuming the plastic is soft enough to use a conical vanity stone to ream it out to the correct size.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
venquessa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I found a basic filler for tubing. Just took a bit of looking around. Actually the same shop as the ebay home brew seller, but his own website as opposed to ebay. Cheaper too.