Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Old 11-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #631
norman1080
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So, time got away from me and my cider sat in the carboy for about 4 weeks, instead of +/-14 days. I made the cider according to the recipe, prior to the update, with 5.25 gallons of Trader Joe's 100% Fresh Apple Juice, 2lbs of dextrose, and 2 packets of Nottingham yeast. I bottled it last Sunday,November 18th, with 3 cans of apple juice concentrate and the caramel sauce per the updated recipe. I didn't have a soda pop bottle handy, so I started to test the bottles as of yesterday, so I wouldn't get any bottle bombs. I am noticing little carbonation as of today. My question is, could the long period, 4 weeks, sitting in the carboy affect the carbing? ie: little yeast viability. Or should I just wait, testing bottles each day, until I believe its carbed to the right level?

Secondly, I made the caramel sauce according to the updated recipe using cinnamon flavoring/extract I got from Whole Foods. I noticed, like the cinnamon spice people have talked about in the forum, that it didn't really incorporate into the caramel sauce. Is there a certain type of cinnamon extract to be used? Or is there a different method I should try? Here are some pictures. One of the cinnamon flavoring/extract I used and of the cider, as of today, with the flavoring oil separating.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and knowledge! Cheers!

Cinnamon Flavoring/Extract

Flavoring Separation

Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #632
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckabrewski
So i bottled Saturday night and this 20oz soda bottle is hard as a rock. Does that mean it's time to pasteurize?
Yes yes yes yes yes yes. Do it now before something explodes.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #633
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Yes yes yes yes yes yes. Do it now before something explodes.
Just got finished I had 3 gushers but I'm drinking them as soon as they cool.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #634
dmboarder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put a couple of cinnamon sticks in some spiced rum the day I made the cider and by the time it was ready for the caramel mixture I had some awesome cinnamon extract.

In my batch, I just used Sam's Member's Mark apple juice and it worked great. It's 4-something for two 96oz bottles. The cider was a huge hit yesterday at Thanksgiving. I kept telling everyone to take it easy and not pound them or it would sneak up on them. hehe
Newsman Likes This 
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #635
mikeslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hey guys just put mine in yesterday. Had a little foam but it seems to have dissipated and now I'm starting to have little blips in the airlock. Anyway how long should I wait for more activity in the airlock before I start worrying if I messed up?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #636
mikeslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

P.s. I used one pack of Nottingham was that right?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #637
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslag View Post
Hey guys just put mine in yesterday. Had a little foam but it seems to have dissipated and now I'm starting to have little blips in the airlock. Anyway how long should I wait for more activity in the airlock before I start worrying if I messed up?

P.s. I used one pack of Nottingham was that right?
1 pack is right.

And as long as you have activity in the airlock, I think it is well on its way. It may pick up in the next 48 - 72 hours, and then slow down again. Plan on taking a gravity reading in about a week.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #638
Beernewb
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

hi mike, is the updated recipe 3 cans of apple juice concentrate instead of 5, but everything else is status quo?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #639
mikeslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike

1 pack is right.

And as long as you have activity in the airlock, I think it is well on its way. It may pick up in the next 48 - 72 hours, and then slow down again. Plan on taking a gravity reading in about a week.
Thanks Mike. Super excited!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #640
mikeslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernewb
hi mike, is the updated recipe 3 cans of apple juice concentrate instead of 5, but everything else is status quo?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/cara...0/index42.html

The adjusted recipe is here to see the adjustments.

Beernewb Likes This