Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #551
ajohnson153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahNate
All mixed up and in the fermenter.

I had an available 5 gallon carboy, so I adjusted the first part of the recipe as such:

4 G of apple cider
1.5 lbs of dextrose
Yeast nutrient
Pectinase

OG: 1.0603

Will check gravity next weekend, but will most likely just let it ferment to dry and then back sweeten. SWMBO is excited.
Using nottingham you would have been fine doing a full 5 gallon batch in a carboy. I just did 5 gallons and had zero need for headspace. Next time I am going to do 5 gallons in one of my 5 gallon better bottles to save my big buckets for beer. I hope to get this bottled soon. I have an IPA dry hopping that I need to bottle on Monday. I used a bucket with a spigot to ferment this so I may bottle it straight out of primary.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #552
badboygator
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have a question regarding the bottling of this.... Is there any reason I can't use swing top bottles as this is the drink that will be popping my brew cherry

Old 11-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #553
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboygator
I have a question regarding the bottling of this.... Is there any reason I can't use swing top bottles as this is the drink that will be popping my brew cherry
No reason you can't. Only thing with swing tops, every couple brews, make sure you replace the rubber gasket to maintain an air tight seal

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #554
UtahNate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153 View Post
Using nottingham you would have been fine doing a full 5 gallon batch in a carboy. I just did 5 gallons and had zero need for headspace. Next time I am going to do 5 gallons in one of my 5 gallon better bottles to save my big buckets for beer. I hope to get this bottled soon. I have an IPA dry hopping that I need to bottle on Monday. I used a bucket with a spigot to ferment this so I may bottle it straight out of primary.
This is only my 4th brew and the second time I've used Nottingham. I used buckets for my first three batches (the batch with notty is still in the FV and I haven't cracked it) so I couldn't see how high the krausen reached. I erred on the side of caution, but now that fermentation has really kicked off I can see I could have done the full 5 gallons. Oh well... I'll know better next time.

Good luck with your cider and IPA.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #555
MedicMang
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 22

So I used S-04 and its been in the bottle for about 3 weeks. It's carbed and has been pasteurized for about 2 weeks. I opened one up today and it smells and tastes like banana. Was that because I stressed the yeast somehow? I fermented without temp control, so it sat at 68 ambient the whole time. Any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #556
ShepFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Carribbean jerked pork chops, garlic & parmasan (sp?) roasted asparagus and 3 mugs of Upstate Mike's hard apple cider!! Life is good! Love brewing and this time of year! Wishing best to you and strength for those dealing with fall out of Sandy.

Got another 5 gallons going now to be ready for "Half Century 'round the Campfire' 50th birthday party!!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #557
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahNate View Post
This is only my 4th brew and the second time I've used Nottingham. I used buckets for my first three batches (the batch with notty is still in the FV and I haven't cracked it) so I couldn't see how high the krausen reached. I erred on the side of caution, but now that fermentation has really kicked off I can see I could have done the full 5 gallons. Oh well... I'll know better next time.

Good luck with your cider and IPA.
I'll be bottling both tomorrow if all goes to plan. I used a bucket for two reasons. Mostly because I didn't have a 5 gallon vessel to use (At the time I only had one 5 gallon carboy and the IPA is in there. I just bought two 5 gal BB's from Northern Brewer on BOGO) and because I didn't know how much head space I would need. I had never used Nottingham yeast before. If it had been Montrachet I would have known that it wouldn't need much head space at all. My roommate makes EdWort's Apfelwein in a 5 gal carboy and the base recipe is the exact same as this one with Montrachet instead of Notty. Ciders in general don't seem to produce the foam that beer does. With that being said I can't wait to try this once it's finished and see if any changes need to be made to make it to my liking so I can brew up another batch. Gotta put those new BB's to use.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #558
mikeslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Alright, went to the homebrew store and got my stuffs, now I just need to pick up the apple parts. I don't know anything about yeast yet, but can someone help me out, the Nottingham says rehydrate before use, do I rehydrate or just open and sprinkle?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #559
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've done it both ways. I think that you'll be fine with sprinkling but rehydrating isn't too hard to do. Just get the temp right. It helps to ensure the yeast isn't shocked from what I understand. Compare it to being punched in the face and asked to do something or gently coaxed to do the same thing so you can start with a little more focus.

Just make sure the measuring cup or whatever is clean if you decide to rehydrate.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #560
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslag
Alright, went to the homebrew store and got my stuffs, now I just need to pick up the apple parts. I don't know anything about yeast yet, but can someone help me out, the Nottingham says rehydrate before use, do I rehydrate or just open and sprinkle?
If it helps I just bottled mine and I just sprinkled. Actually if you want it mixed really well you can put it in one of the juice containers with the corn sugar and shake it.