Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Old 10-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #541
GAHokie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just made this one yesterday and I realized that I was out of pectin. I know the recipe doesn't call for pectin, but I put it in all my ciders for clarity. Is it possible to put pectin in a day or so later? Should I just give up on adding pectin enzyme to the cider?

By the way, Mike. I can't thank you enough for the recipe. I've made some a few ciders before, but this was by far the easiest to start--hopefully in two weeks it'll turn out well.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #542
Springpatch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

So I bottled this today with camdpen 24 hr set. Had to have some and it is pretty good. Question if I added the campden should I still have to pasteurize to avoid bottle bombs?

Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #543
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the awesome and easy recipe mike! The wife already asked for a spiced version for the holidays...

I split the batch for still & sparkling and like the still better, i did not use campden tabs just cold crashed(~33°) right away for still & about a week and half for sparkling... The still was a great use for all my growlers i had sitting around! For those curious im getting more of a gala or golden delicious flavor from the still while the sparkling is closer to a granny smith...

I have not had any separation of the syrup, what i did was as i was setting up to bottle i poured my fajc & syrup into a gal ziploc then floated it in hottest tap water (~130°) then added to carboy when ready gave a couple small swirls while adding and after each six pack or so...

Old 11-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #544
mikeslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default To Cinnamon or not to cinnamon

SWOMB says she wants me to make this but doesn't like the caramel idea because she's not a huge fan of caramel, if I were to just leave the cinnamon out of the caramel mix would this still work? Or is there a substitution I could do?

Thanks guys!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #545
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The caramel flavor is VERY subtle... I left the cinnamon out completely... Next time i plan on putfting a few sticks in my secondary...

Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #546
mikeslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Alright just checking. I like to make sure she's good with everything because we brew this together, it's like our ONLY common hobby

Old 11-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #547
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslag View Post
SWOMB says she wants me to make this but doesn't like the caramel idea because she's not a huge fan of caramel, if I were to just leave the cinnamon out of the caramel mix would this still work? Or is there a substitution I could do?

Thanks guys!
Instead of cinnamon, you might want to try vanilla extract. Careful, a little goes a long way. Perhaps 1/2 to 1 teaspoon?
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #548
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

So I'm on my 2nd 5 gallon batch. First one turned out great. However, this batch has been fermenting for a week and is almost at 1.015. Problem is, it smells a little sulfery. It had the rhino farts real bad for about a day and a half but it still has that residual smell. This didnt happen at all in my past batch. Only thing that changed was:
Ferm temp: last time at about 72 degrees(warm I know) this one at about 66.
Juice: this one has malic acid in it but that shouldn't be it
Yeast nutrient: didnt add it last time but did this time. Followed the directions for a 5 gallon batch and this is my first time using it.

Any ideas? I'm bottling soon and really don't want this smell in my cider

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 11-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #549
UtahNate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks for the recipe, UpstateMike... My wife isn't much of a beer drinker, but loves hard cider, so I've been looking for something to make for her. I plan on getting started tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #550
UtahNate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

All mixed up and in the fermenter.

I had an available 5 gallon carboy, so I adjusted the first part of the recipe as such:

4 G of apple cider
1.5 lbs of dextrose
Yeast nutrient
Pectinase

OG: 1.0603

Will check gravity next weekend, but will most likely just let it ferment to dry and then back sweeten. SWMBO is excited.