Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #491
buckeyebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hope this hasn't been asked or doesn't seem likea dumb question but of you want to carb you use priming sugar as useual right? I don't wanna add more sugar than necessary and make bottle bombs. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #492
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

No you use the caramel syrup as in the recipe and 3 cans of thawed frozen apple juice concentrate. (Only)

Old 10-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #493
buckeyebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Did you oven pasteurize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Racked to my brew bucket last night. Sg just under 1.010. Gave it a taste, not as dry as apfelwein, but looking forward to bottling in a day or two and tasting the finished cider in a few weeks. Gonna make the caramel sauce the same day that I bottle per your suggestions. Gonna fill at least one Mr. Beer plastic bottle since it's similar to a soda bottle to test for carbonation and know when It's ready to stove pasteurize. I'm sure it's a matter of preference, but what is a good baseline feel to know when it's ready to pasteurize? Should it have some flex or be fairly hard to squeeze? This is my first attempt at backsweetening and stovetop pasteurization. Wish me luck!

Attachment 72626
Hey vox thanks for the posts. Did you end up oven pasteurize and if is how did it go?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #494
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerl

Yeah, it was perfect. Just had to get through the initial sediment.
Perfect. That did the trick. Tomorrow is 5 days and I think it's just about there.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #495
speedyG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

FNG here. My carboy and kit arrives on Wednesday. On Friday I plan on starting a half batch (5 gal carboy). How much yeast do I use? I'm using the updated recipe with the nutrient. Any suggestions on the half batch?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #496
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
FNG here. My carboy and kit arrives on Wednesday. On Friday I plan on starting a half batch (5 gal carboy). How much yeast do I use? I'm using the updated recipe with the nutrient. Any suggestions on the half batch?
I'd still use the entire packet of yeast. It's pretty hard to overpitch, generally speaking the more active cells you have the better. It might ferment faster but should still turn out perfect. At least that is me speaking from my beer making experience. Cider might be different in that respect, I honestly don't know.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #497
loki008
Recipes 

I just bottled a batch of this yesterday, but i had one question. I did this batch and if i recall (i am at work and dont have the exact measurements on me) i started around a 1.065 and was at 1.010 after only 5 days of fermentation. Is this out of the ordanary as i was expecting something closer to 2 weeks. Fermenation temp was mid to upper 60's, i assume that it was just a case of ideal conditions.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #498
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Finally got a batch of this in the fermenter. It's been on my list for a while now. The fermentable part is so easy to do I don't know why I waited so long.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #499
TuttleCreekBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made a batch of this recently for the women in my group of friends, since they don't drink beer. This recipe is amazingly delicious, and everyone loved it!

I found out over the weekend that apparently one of them had given out several bottles to her friends to try, and is now getting asked "Where did you find this? I want to buy more!"

Looks like batch #2 is getting bumped up in the queue!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #500
MedicMang
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just wanted to report that my batch turned out tasting great! My only problem was that I have floating goo. I've seen others report this. No big deal. Guess I will have to just make the caramel sauce and apple juice concentrate mixed better before I add it. If you are thinking about trying this, DO IT. Pretty good stuff.