Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #481
mistercameron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SD, Ca
Posts: 433
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

WOW! This taste like apple pie in a glass.

I actually kegged mine. At 3 days (ferm temp w/ English cider yeast) it's still on the sweet side - more than I was expecting. I'll probably let it keep going another couple days to dry it out some. One thing I notice is that the first sample I pour has very viscous fluid full of cinnamon. I'm guessing the syrup mixture is probably settling out, despite my attempts to shake and invert the keg.

Anyone else have tips for kegging this recipe?


mistercameron is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #482
lunshbox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 128
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

I have been digging around for caramel syrup. I after a while j decided to make my own. This stuff has butter and cream in it. I assume that would cause a problem. What did you guys use?


__________________
Primary: Old Bootlegger Imperial Porter, Mill Worker's Breakfast Oatmeal Coffee Porter
Secondary: Oud Bruin, Berlinner Weisse, Apfelwein
Barrel: Whiskey :P
Kegged: Mill Worker's Breakfast Base
Planned: Pure-T Pale with Citra, G-Town Brown 2.1, Muddy Banks Irish Red
lunshbox is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #483
BenRuss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 77
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I have had mine in bottles for 4 days and the two test plastic bottles went psst then bubbled over just a bit. Is it too late to pasturize??? I don't have the room to cold crash. Could I do it at a lower temp for longer?
BenRuss is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #484
BenRuss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 77
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Sorry, 3 cans of concentrate and the syrup at bottling,
BenRuss is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #485
BenRuss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 77
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Thanks all, I have gone ahead with pastureization anyway and only list a bottle on the first batch. I was working without a tea towel at the bottom if the pot and my pot has a large aluminum heat pad on the bottom so I likely had a bad bottle or it was getting some weird heat pattern. I am also preheating in the sink at about 115 before hitting the pot.

Test bottles are incredible, I can just imagine it after a month!! Thanks Mike.
BenRuss is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #486
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Towaco, NJ
Posts: 422
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunshbox View Post
I have been digging around for caramel syrup. I after a while j decided to make my own. This stuff has butter and cream in it. I assume that would cause a problem. What did you guys use?
It won't cause a problem but there will be 0 head retention. I.e. you will get carbonation, but there may be a film or other fatty substance on the top that may be unsightly. STILL, if it tastes good.....Basically, oil will cause a prob in that way. I wanted to use the heavy whipping cream in a batch...I just haven't yet.

This is why we experiment!

Do it and report back!
pwortiz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #487
Tuckerl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kailua, Hawaii
Posts: 64
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron
WOW! This taste like apple pie in a glass.

I actually kegged mine. At 3 days (ferm temp w/ English cider yeast) it's still on the sweet side - more than I was expecting. I'll probably let it keep going another couple days to dry it out some. One thing I notice is that the first sample I pour has very viscous fluid full of cinnamon. I'm guessing the syrup mixture is probably settling out, despite my attempts to shake and invert the keg.

Anyone else have tips for kegging this recipe?
I had the same problem. I tried shaking the keg a few times to try to redistribute but in the end there was really nothing I could do. After the first few glasses or so you won't see it anymore.
Tuckerl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #488
mistercameron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SD, Ca
Posts: 433
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerl

I had the same problem. I tried shaking the keg a few times to try to redistribute but in the end there was really nothing I could do. After the first few glasses or so you won't see it anymore.
Did it dry out fine? I washed and saved the yeast so I can re pitch some, just not sure if its necessary in this case
mistercameron is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #489
Fuddham
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Covington, VA
Posts: 4
Default

I started a batch last weekend using Mike's recipe but used a wine yeast. When the Sg got to 1.006 I racked onto 5 campden and 2.5 tsp P. Sorbate. Stirred well and degassed. The next day the airlock was still working heavly. Added 2.5 tsp more of P. Sorbate, but the airlock is still working heavly. How am I to stop the yeast so that I can backsweeten? I am not planning on carbing.

Thanks,

Scott
Fuddham is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #490
Tuckerl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kailua, Hawaii
Posts: 64
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron

Did it dry out fine? I washed and saved the yeast so I can re pitch some, just not sure if its necessary in this case
Yeah, it was perfect. Just had to get through the initial sediment.


Tuckerl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caramel Apple Cider success. oldmate Cider Forum 6 03-30-2011 03:26 AM
Caramel apple cider Chaos_Being Cider Forum 87 02-02-2011 05:58 PM
caramel apple cider lunchbox Cider Forum 4 11-03-2010 09:46 AM
Caramel Apple Cider NurseNan Cider Forum 9 02-05-2007 02:34 AM
caramel hard cider colinwilson Cider Forum 3 10-11-2006 10:18 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS