Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #461
buckeyebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi there, i started fermenting this on 10/6 and the airlock still showing active fermentation. I was thinking about taking a gravity reading to see how close i am to the target gravity but something felt weird about opening my carboy while fermentation is still going on. Sould i wait until there are no more signs of fermentaion in the airlock before i take a same to test the gavity? Thanks in advance for any responses i get.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #462
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

With this recipe and apple juices sugar content, this would continue to ferment well past the 1.015 - 1.010 target and dry right out. I started mine about 5 days before yours and I bottled today after 2.5 days in the secondary. It's just me but I would take a reading now, as my airlock continued to bubble even after racking.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #463
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRuss
Ok, I have questions. I bottled this today and used a PET plastic as my first and last bottle to keep a handle on carbonation. I used 341ml glass crown caps for most if the remaining batch but I did do some 750ml glass crown caps and some 750ml glass Perrier bottles with PET caps. If I keep an eye on the plastic test bottles will my carbonation be the same in the bigger bottles and if I cold crashed the Perrier bottles because of the PET caps, how long do they need to be at temperature to kill the yeast and what temp do they need to be at? Also, does cold crashing kill the yeast or just leave it dormant so when they bottles return to room temperature, fermentation resumes?
My bigger bottles carbed up at the same rate as my 12 oz ones and my plastic bottle. The key is to have the same headspace in all. Cold crashing will just leave the yeast dormant. Once it warms back up, they will start munching on the sugars again.

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider
Newsman Likes This 
Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #464
Madvillain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Im so excited to make this recipe. I read it last night and literally dreamt about it! Dance of the caramel apple cider fairies... ;-)

Newsman Likes This 
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #465
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

That's great info about the 22oZ bottles. I will pasturize them all but maybe do the Perrier bottles at a slightly lower temp for longer. Just worried about the plastic caps.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #466
jimox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

This is all great info and I have the cider in the fermentor. Someone has probably answered this already but I tried to go through the entire thread but had to start skimming around page 25. It says to make the Caramel Syrup 24 hours before bottling. How should it be stored? Should it be kept at room temperature or in the fridge? Thanks.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #467
jimox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Also does anyone have any suggestions for where to get the plastic bottles for testing. I keep reading to use soda bottles but I want to be able to drink my test bottles and expect that a bottle that had soda sitting in it for a long time will impart strange tastes.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #468
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimox
This is all great info and I have the cider in the fermentor. Someone has probably answered this already but I tried to go through the entire thread but had to start skimming around page 25. It says to make the Caramel Syrup 24 hours before bottling. How should it be stored? Should it be kept at room temperature or in the fridge? Thanks.
I keep mine at room temp as putting it in the fridge would thicken it up which inhibits mixing it into the cider while bottling. As for the plastic bottle, I used a bottle of seltzer water to protect against exactly what you mentioned.

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 10-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #469
jimox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
I keep mine at room temp as putting it in the fridge would thicken it up which inhibits mixing it into the cider while bottling. As for the plastic bottle, I used a bottle of seltzer water to protect against exactly what you mentioned.
Perfect, thanks.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #470
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

PET plastic pop bottles are designed to not hold flavour or allow air to seep into the beverage. If they did, bottled soda would taste different then canned not to mention that people use coke to take tar off their cars. If the plastic bottle leached flavour and air in and out, the acid in most sodas would eat the bottle during long shelf lives. Get green ones though so you have a little UV barrier at least.