Caramel Apple Hard Cider - Page 45 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #441
ShepFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ShepFL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Sanderson, FL
Posts: 317
Liked 50 Times on 28 Posts


So I bottled this tonight. Syrup stayed together and flavor was very good. I got it down to 1.010, made caramel according to directions. Disappointment for me was the cinnamon seemed to seperate out. Perhaps I did not boil caramel long enough for it to bind with sugar. As this is my first cider I followed original directions to the letter.

We will see how it shapes up to be ready for Turkey Day! Gooble, Gobble Gurgle Gurgle
__________________
Be the person you would want as a friend because at the end of the game the King and Pawn go in the same box.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #442
UpstateMike
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Brockport, NY
Posts: 930
Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepFL View Post
Disappointment for me was the cinnamon seemed to seperate out.
This is also the reason that in the revised recipe (on page 42) I added the possible use of liquid cinnamon extract instead of powdered cinnamon. When I first made this, the same thing happened. Don't worry too much, there will be enough cinnamon in each bottle.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #443
mistercameron
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
SD, Ca
Posts: 390
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike

This is also the reason that in the revised recipe (on page 42) I added the possible use of liquid cinnamon extract instead of powdered cinnamon. When I first made this, the same thing happened. Don't worry too much, there will be enough cinnamon in each bottle.
Maybe the edits could/should be made to the original post? Or at least a link to the updated version. I had a tough time locating it on the mobile version since the pages don't match up with the website pages

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #444
UpstateMike
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Brockport, NY
Posts: 930
Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron View Post
Maybe the edits could/should be made to the original post? Or at least a link to the updated version. I had a tough time locating it on the mobile version since the pages don't match up with the website pages
The forum software wont allow edits to the original post, too much time has passed. But here is a link to the updated recipe.

Updated Recipe
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #445
dgrums
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 41
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts


I have a question. I have this recipe fermenting now and I believe it is almost done. I'm planning on racking this to my secondary and adding campden tablets this weekend before kegging. However, I bought the apple juice in 2 gallon sets and used 5 leaving one left over that I'm probably not going to drink. Would it be possible to add dextrose to my leftover gallon and add it to the primary with the yeast cake (after racking my fermented batch to the secondary) and let that one go? It's a 6 gallon fermenting bucket. Is that entirely too much headspace (1 gallon juice + yeast cake in 6 gallon fermenter)? Will this cause any problems? Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #446
HopHeaven
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Newark, NJ
Posts: 183
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrums
I have a question. I have this recipe fermenting now and I believe it is almost done. I'm planning on racking this to my secondary and adding campden tablets this weekend before kegging. However, I bought the apple juice in 2 gallon sets and used 5 leaving one left over that I'm probably not going to drink. Would it be possible to add dextrose to my leftover gallon and add it to the primary with the yeast cake (after racking my fermented batch to the secondary) and let that one go? It's a 6 gallon fermenting bucket. Is that entirely too much headspace (1 gallon juice + yeast cake in 6 gallon fermenter)? Will this cause any problems? Thanks
I'd wash the yeast and save it for your next batch
__________________
Primary: JAOM, RiceWine. Wine soaked raisin Apfelwein

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #447
Knapptime
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Wharton, Nj
Posts: 23

Thanks for setting me straight guys

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #448
BenRuss
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 77
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts


I transferred this to the carboy to clear fit 24 hours and made the original syrup (perhaps an addition is on order) mine seperated as well. Anyway, started at 1.066 and got down to 1.010 last night. I will do three tins concentrate and the syrup. Here is last night right after racking and this morning 9 hours later.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2050247939.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	79206   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1630321491.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	79207  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #449
Biohazard
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Canyon Lake, CA
Posts: 104
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Are you using Nottingham? What temp are you fermenting at? I usually don't get much of a krausen from Notty.
I am using WLP001 California Ale yeast, as I have a bit higher temps than you, I am fermenting at 70-74.

After 3 days of major krausen forming, it has calmed down and is bubbling along nicely.

Thanks for the recipe! Next batch starts this weekend, this time with Saison yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #450
Garyr2973
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Louisville,KY
Posts: 184
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts


Is he adding the 12 oz of caramel syrup to the ingredients in part 2?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caramel Apple Cider success. oldmate Cider Forum 6 03-30-2011 03:26 AM
Caramel apple cider Chaos_Being Cider Forum 87 02-02-2011 05:58 PM
caramel apple cider lunchbox Cider Forum 4 11-03-2010 09:46 AM
Caramel Apple Cider NurseNan Cider Forum 9 02-05-2007 02:34 AM
caramel hard cider colinwilson Cider Forum 3 10-11-2006 10:18 PM


Forum Jump