National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #211
CollegeCider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCider View Post
My batch finished out on the weekend and I tasted it for the first time yesterday, I only added 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to my 2.25 gal batch (equal ratio would be .8 tsp.) and I found it to be to much of a cinnamon flavor. Also was 1st time using Nottingham yeast, and it worked wonders. Was clear straight from the primary. Definatly not going back the the cheapo bread yeast I used on my last batch. I think the first batch may have finally cleared in the bottles now.
So, to my surprise it isnt bottle carbing, and after reading a few more posts I found that nottingham sometimes stops frementing after racking. Now, I would be fine with this, but it tastes much too sweet for me and my friends. I guess I will wait longer for it to carb up, as there is a pfft when I open the bottles. It is just taking longer then I thought it would.

Primary - Nothing til I'm back in college
Bottled/drinking - Cinnamon cider(11% abv)

Old 08-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #212
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCider View Post
So, to my surprise it isnt bottle carbing, and after reading a few more posts I found that nottingham sometimes stops frementing after racking. Now, I would be fine with this, but it tastes much too sweet for me and my friends. I guess I will wait longer for it to carb up, as there is a pfft when I open the bottles. It is just taking longer then I thought it would.
BE CAREFUL. Mine had the exact same issue at day 3 and into day 4. Then, by the end of day 4 I ended up with a bottle bomb and all were super carbed. I have no idea how it went from 0-60 that fast. Open another one tonight just in case and do it daily until you get your preferred level of carb.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #213
CollegeCider
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Did you use nottingham too? This is the first time of me using it, so I am not too sure of how it will act. I kinda want to wait a bit though cause it is terribly sweet, I guess I could taste and then re cap if it is really bad. I think next time I'll let it frement more out, I prefer a dry cider but wanted to try making a sweet one (for the girls)

Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #214
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Yup, I also used the Notty. Mine went from 1.058 to 1.012 in 15 days. What were your readings? It was my first as well (the half batch I made). This was my first FULL batch and I agree it's sweet, but I have some residual tartness too.

Did you use all 5 cans of the concentrate? Maybe you could cut back on those in the future...add 2, taste....add 3rd, taste, etc.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #215
CollegeCider
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OG was 1.06 and FG was 1.01 in 10 days for my 2.25 gal batch. Didnt measure SG after I added the caramel mix, and I guess I missed reading about the concentrate cause I didnt add any of that. But for the caramel I added 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (recipe equivelant would be .8 instead of .5 of each, cause I knew I didnt want it to be too sweet) with an SG of probably like 1.015 I dont think I need to worry too much about bottle bombs.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #216
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

My first batch (2.5) I did measure the SG after adding all the sugar: "There was a question about measuring the SG after adding the syrup and the juice cans. I measured and, at 68 deg it was ~ 1.023. My FG was 1.010 when I racked to the secondary yesterday. But, I had a half batch, I used SLIGHTLY less dextrose and instead of 2.5 cans of juice concentrate, I used just 2."

I posted that somewhere in here. Not sure how close you would have been to those mearsurements.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #217
CollegeCider
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Dang, having some problems with my batch, added the caramel at 1.01, and deemed it too sweet 2 days ago. Now after a week of bottle carbing, I got gushers. Time to bottle pasturize and hopefully not explode too many bottles

Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #218
CollegeCider
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No bombs, and at least it tastes good, after it fizzes over for a bit.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #219
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

ah, good, so you were able to pasteurize everything OK? I've noticed a slight "tartening" as this ages - at least in my first batch. It continued to get better and better for me. This time, as a full batch, I'll have more time to "age" them. I went through this stuff FAST from the first batch.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #220
snortwheeze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

New brewer here, looking to start out in making this recipe. I have one question about what bottles to use. I have acces to several bars in my area, but not many guiness drinkers in the area. I'm thinking of using old Heineken bottles and re capping them. Thoughts?