Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #141
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The concentrate would have some effect on thickening but it shouldn't have been enough to make it syrup-like, I'd say. I'm curious to hear about it when you crack open a bottle!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #142
tommybjr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a batch of this going. I let it ferment dry with EC-1118. I plan on kegging this and wanted to sweeten it with concentrate. My question is, how much concentrate should I use?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #143
CKL958
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow. Just went downstairs to the "Fermentation Cave". Still some decent airlock activity. (Pitched June 14). Getting a bubble every 4-5 seconds still. Not in a rush for this. Figure I'll get to the point of the 24 hour rack over and bottling mid to late July. Surprised it is still showing so much activity though

Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #144
southlake333
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybjr View Post
I have a batch of this going. I let it ferment dry with EC-1118. I plan on kegging this and wanted to sweeten it with concentrate. My question is, how much concentrate should I use?
Start with 3 cans, then sweeten to taste from there. My SG before starting to sweeten was 1.010 and 3 cans made it just right.

Gallons finished in 2012 - 35
Gallons currently fermenting - 20

To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #145
hwilshusen
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I hate when life gets in the way of brewing. I started this 4 1/2 weeks ago. OG was 1.064. On Thursday I pulled it out of my ferm chamber. SG was 1.008. When carrying it to the kitchen to bottle the yeast got re-suspended, so I decided to leave it sit over night. Forgot that I had to go out of town on Friday morning. Just got home to a house with a room temp of 88* f. SG is now 1.002. I didn't think Notty would ferment that low. I just made the syrup and will be bottling it in a couple hours. Hopefully there is enough life left in the yeast to carbonate it.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #146
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You're gonna be fine! 88 deg is damn high but maybe it'll turn out like one of those other experiments with unintended benefits....here's hopin' for ya!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #147
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Actually I think the yeast will be fine. As long it was in the range for most of the fermentation it should be ok, I do that with my beers, ferment them at their temp then raise the temp to finish it.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #148
gratefuldavis
Recipes 

I posted this somewhere else on this site, not sure which forum is the best place for the question, so i am copying it here too....

Campden tablet question... I purchased 5 gallons of unpasteurized and preservative free cider from the local orchard. Last night i crushed and added 5 campden tablets to it to ward off the wild yeast/bacteria. Tonight i will pitch the yeast and get this recipe going. My question is, is it okay to add more campden tablets again at the end of this process if I follow the recipes suggestions prior to bottling? Not sure if the grand total at the end of 10 having been added to the 5 gallons does anything bad/harmful to it or not.......

Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #149
southlake333
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuldavis View Post
I posted this somewhere else on this site, not sure which forum is the best place for the question, so i am copying it here too....

Campden tablet question... I purchased 5 gallons of unpasteurized and preservative free cider from the local orchard. Last night i crushed and added 5 campden tablets to it to ward off the wild yeast/bacteria. Tonight i will pitch the yeast and get this recipe going. My question is, is it okay to add more campden tablets again at the end of this process if I follow the recipes suggestions prior to bottling? Not sure if the grand total at the end of 10 having been added to the 5 gallons does anything bad/harmful to it or not.......
Yes, that's fine. I do that with every batch. 1 per gallon at the beginning to kill wild stuff, then 1 per gallon at the end to preserve in the bottles.

Gallons finished in 2012 - 35
Gallons currently fermenting - 20

To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #150
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey Mike would it hurt for me to use this instead? It might be a while til I can make a weggmans trip. Just wandering if there were any real differences in the juices you use.

Acme brand
Here it is:
http://www.wildharvestorganic.com/se...8&productId=69