Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #1001
CooperBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Mixed up a batch of this last night in a spare 5 gallon carboy.

Thanks UpstateMike for the recipe and to everyone else who has contributed to the thread.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #1002
truck1985
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Mixed up a 5 gallon batch of this this week. It took about a 1.5 days for the yeast to start doing their thing, but now the closet I ferment in is filled with that wonderful aroma of fermenting juice. I look forward to trying it! Thanks upstatemike.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #1003
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Did a batch a while back, use the Nottingham with no nutrients, no starter, took a while for it to finish. Could have done a lot of things to make it easier on the yeast but did none of them.

After maybe 1.5-2 months I racked out of the primary into a secondary with sulfite and benzoate, plus the syrup and concentrate. Just kegged after about a week to drop clear. Tastes wonderful, very much looking forward to it.

I've not seen it mentioned (although I have not read 101 pages) , making the syrup is interesting. Mine settled into a sort of "snot" layer, similar to what you would expect if you boiled okra. I put that into the fermenter and some of it survived till I cleaned the carboy. Nasty looking but it tastes great. Maybe it was something that came out of the cinnamon making the syrup? Dunno.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #1004
Jimbob904
Recipes 

Cinnamon does have a component that acts like starch or gelatin holding baked goods together. That is probably what you are seeing. IDK if there is an easy way to get rid of it.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #1005
thehoss77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
Did a batch a while back, use the Nottingham with no nutrients, no starter, took a while for it to finish. Could have done a lot of things to make it easier on the yeast but did none of them.

After maybe 1.5-2 months I racked out of the primary into a secondary with sulfite and benzoate, plus the syrup and concentrate. Just kegged after about a week to drop clear. Tastes wonderful, very much looking forward to it.

I've not seen it mentioned (although I have not read 101 pages) , making the syrup is interesting. Mine settled into a sort of "snot" layer, similar to what you would expect if you boiled okra. I put that into the fermenter and some of it survived till I cleaned the carboy. Nasty looking but it tastes great. Maybe it was something that came out of the cinnamon making the syrup? Dunno.
I have the same issue SWMBO loves it but I hate the look of it.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #1006
CooperBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I mixed up a batch of this 17 days ago and it's still bubbling the airlock. Does this stuff ever quit? lol.

I'll check the gravity when I get home to see where I'm at.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #1007
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 130 Posts

I used Nottingham with yeast nutrients and after 14 days at 62, it had been done fermenting for about 8 days with a FG of 1.002. I didnt even think that was possible. It was , of course, real dry but the frozen apple juice and syrup that I backsweetened with sweetened it up.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #1008
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob904
Cinnamon does have a component that acts like starch or gelatin holding baked goods together. That is probably what you are seeing. IDK if there is an easy way to get rid of it.
I had the same "snot" at the bottom of my bottling bucket. Next time I think Im gonna pour the syrup warm into the bottling bucket and I have picked up some cinnamon extract to try in lieu of ground cinnamon. Any ideas on how much extract to use and would the extract possibly cause the same problem as the ground?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #1009
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpcook1 View Post
Any ideas on how much extract to use and would the extract possibly cause the same problem as the ground?
Per the updated recipe on page 42,
"2 tsp. ground cinnamon, OR 1/2 tsp liquid cinnamon extract".
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23
Wine2Beer Likes This 
Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #1010
Kergnob
Recipes 

First time with the recipe; followed a 3 gallon recipe mentioned on page 91. once fermented down to 1.01 I cold crashed, made caramel and added concentrate.
Now carbonating in bottles, I did this on the 1st and its the 5th now. plastic 2 liter bottle is getting pretty rigid, but opened a 12 oz and a larger grolsch and neither were 'rdy' quite yet. I may have no left enough head space in the bottle for it to carbonate properly. Should I give it a few more or just pasteurize, and if its cruddy carbonating force carb in keg? The post said it carbs quickly from all the sugar and it had carbonation, just not as much as id like I guess? Just wary of when to pasteurize before bottle bombs commense