Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Converting Partial Boil to Full Boil

Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Scanloni
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Converting Partial Boil to Full Boil

I'm still pretty new at this stuff, so please excuse me if the answer to this question is obvious. I've done 2 True Brew kit beers so far and they both call for a partial 2 gallon boil which is later added to 3 gallons water, and that's what I've done. However, I have a large enough kettle to do a full 5 gallon boil which as far as I can tell is the preferred method. So my question is, do I simply begin with 5 gallons vs 2, and follow the procedure as usual per the kit instructions? Or are there other considerations?

(I'm aware of the fact that I'll have to cool 5 gallons of wort vs 2).

Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanloni View Post
I'm still pretty new at this stuff, so please excuse me if the answer to this question is obvious. I've done 2 True Brew kit beers so far and they both call for a partial 2 gallon boil which is later added to 3 gallons water, and that's what I've done. However, I have a large enough kettle to do a full 5 gallon boil which as far as I can tell is the preferred method. So my question is, do I simply begin with 5 gallons vs 2, and follow the procedure as usual per the kit instructions? Or are there other considerations?

(I'm aware of the fact that I'll have to cool 5 gallons of wort vs 2).
You might have to adjust the hop amounts to get the right IBU's, but I'm just guessing on that...

Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
TBar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default difference

You will get a slightly higher hop utilization and slightly less caramelization of your lme w a full 5 gallon boil.

For most 5 gallon beers the bitterness change will be negligible. If you are concerned you can use beersmith or a similar program to predict and adjust.

I started full boiling on my second brewers best kit and was very happy w all my kit results after that. Go for it and take notes.