Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Buying too much at once?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
roxy35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The more I've thought about it, the more I will likely stay away from Mr. Beer. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a true beginners kit and starting with some beer "kits" to make specific types of beer - will then graduate and purchase actual hops, malts, etc.

Here is a definite newb question. The beginners kits (like this one: Welcome to Bull City Homebrew) comes with a 6.5 gallon fermenter and 6.5 gallon bucket with spigot - do I really need both unless I am doing a secondary fermentation? I figured everything would just go into the spigot bucket and then bottle straight from there. I'm not even quite sure (yet) how to do the transfer. I suppose it would be nice to speed up the in-between-beers process by transferring the batch and starting a new one.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
I said that too, I was almost going to give my fermenter away...but then I thought that since I want to come up with a few of my own recipes, they could be used for small experimental batches. My Mr. Beer fermenter just might see some action again.
For small batches I use glass gallon jugs, or 2.5 gallon HDPE hedpaks that I buy bulk LME in (modified to take an airlock).

Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2971 Times on 2565 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

Proper storage is important to the quality of the ingredients when they're actually used. I keep hop packets in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Yeast in the butter cubby on the fridge door,& all LME's in the fridge too. They stay fresher longer that way.