Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 Gauge Stuck

Old 01-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
DPB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default CO2 Gauge Stuck

New to kegging. Tried to carb a beer by loading it up with co2 so my buddies could have some in a few days; now the the CO2 gauge is stuck at 20. On the back of the gauge there are two screws which I am hoping if I mess with it will re-set. I thought I would post here first for assistance before I destroy anything. Is it possible to have the gauge reset to 0 if so any ideas how? Thanks!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Those gauges are typically for calibrating... I wouldn't mess with them unless you have no other choice. In my experience when a gauge sticks it is usually the back plate being warped enough, or pushed to one side enough, to catch the needle. That or the needle is bent back a little and dragging on the back plate. If you can remove the lens then push the back plate a little, or pull the needle a little forward, to straighten it out that should solve the problem. Most lenses can be removed by twisting the cover off or they have a little crease you can push a small screwdriver into to pop them out.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1625 Times on 1306 Posts

How have you determined the gauge is actually stuck?

If the regulator is connected to a keg charged to 20 psi, the gauge will read 20 psi even with the tank valve closed and the regulator shut down...

Cheers!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
DPB
Recipes 

Thanks Tom! Feel like an idiot; a few flicks off the gauge and it flipped back to 0. Quite a bit off moisture in the keezer may have caused the backplate to warp. I'm sure it will stick again but at least I know the problem.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Anybody know a good way of removing the lens? I have tried pushing the cap holding the lens with a screwdriver. Either it is really tight, or, that is not the way to get the gauge off.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
DPB
Recipes 

I couldn't get my cover off either; a few taps and the needle dropped back down to its original position. The paper/carboard backing has warped so it won't register much over 20lbs, other than that it works fine.

Maybe warming it up a little and twisting.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
Anybody know a good way of removing the lens? I have tried pushing the cap holding the lens with a screwdriver. Either it is really tight, or, that is not the way to get the gauge off.
I had the same problem with a regulator I bought off Craig's List. I could see that the paper backing was creased and stopping the needle. After spending a long time unsuccessfully trying to get the cover off I added a new gauge to an online order and just replaced it. I think it was $7 or so for a new one.

This is similar to what I bought

I wasn't too concerned with it because I have multiple secondary regulators to adjust the pressure to the keg, but if it was the only control it could be a little frustrating.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I too think nothing is wrong, but that you have 20psi in the system, so it reads 20psi.
close every valve, bleed the pressure, and i bet it drops to 0psi
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10