Is this normal? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I have had my ESB in the bottle for 2 weeks. All the bottles have this much yeast/sediment in them. Is this normal?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If the color isn't off, it looks like an awful lot of hop sediment to me.

Muslin bags (or any bag for that matter) are not perfect at keeping fines from getting into your beer and I'm sure you didn't whip up the primary and rack straight to bottles but...

Did you allow the primary/secondary to settle out before transfer?
Did you keep the racking cane off the bottom?
Did you transfer to a bottling bucket or bottle right of the primary/secondary?

In any case, crack one open, pour it gently into your favorite glass leaving behind the sediment and enjoy...probably nothing wrong with it!

Next time just take some care with your transfers! :mug:

Yeah the green makes it look like hop sediment to me. In my experience, hop sediment doesn't compact as well and tends to get into the beer glass. It's not the end of the world, be careful when you're pouring.

I'm to the point where I tie a muslin bag to the end of my racking hose (the end that goes into the keg/bottling bucket) when racking a dry hopped beer. I don't trust the draw string so I use actual thread to get it nice and snug. This keeps the hops out of the finished product and is pretty easy to clean. Make sure to sanitize this setup with the bag and thread and everything.

The sediment is not actually green. It must be the camera that made it look that way. I allowed the beer to sit in primary for a month and then I racked into a bottling bucket. I also filtered the beer though a muslin bag. I don't think that is hop/sediment. I believe that it's just yeast that has not compacted.

Has that bottle been in the fridge? A few days in the fridge will help compact the yeast sediment.

No. The beer has only been in the bottles for 2 weeks. I'm not going to put any in the fridge yet.

Yep, give it another week then fridge some bottles for a couple days and I'll bet you have a nice tight yeast cake you can pour your delicious homebrew right off of!

Latest posts

Back