Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
djbradle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just bottled this yesterday and it has changed considerably! The flavor and mouthfeel, even flat, is supreme. Gotta brew another 5 gallon batch now for next year.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
djbradle
Recipes 

Just wanted to follow up with you guys. I bottled this BBP and the taste is ridiculously good! The color is like old motor oil. The taste has mellowed quite a bit from the previous hydro samples to a perfect blend of oak/bourbon/vanilla, I simply love it. I'm glad I added the 600 ml's of bourbon. I made sure to suck up some of the yeast on the bottom to make sure there was some extra in the bottling bucket. I used a full 5 oz. pack of corn sugar boiled and added half to the bottom of the bucket, then the rest before the last bit was syphoned. I stirred for a while with a sanitized spoon. They are now sitting in 70 degrees and will be there for another 2.5 weeks before I test one for adequate carbing. 24 22 oz bombers, 3 12 oz bottles, and one martinelli's green 750. That was from about 4.9 gallons minus small amount of peanut butter yeast. The head might be rather high since I didn't carb to style. It's just amazing to experience this and can't imagine how the flavor will meld after some proper aging. It's a lower abv so I will not age for too long. I will most likely enjoy through the early spring and save some more in the early fall.

The taste is really really perfect imho.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
rasdas
Recipes 

Brewed mine up on monday...bubbling away in primary right now...planning 3 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then kegging for 2 weeks....but with all the great reviews its going to be hard to let this sit once i keg it....

Deck: NB Bavarian Hefeweizen, Hard Lemonade, Apfelwein

Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
djbradle
Recipes 

Don't worry too much about letting it sit . . it's a low gravity brew so it doesn't need the aging imho. Just to get the oak/bourbon/etc. balanced is the key. Seriously, it tastes that good already and I plan on enjoying it right away after carbing.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
acuenca
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Its an average gravity brew with complex flavor profile from the oak and bourbon. The longer I waited the more the bourbon blended with the porter and oak flavor profile...definitely cellar a few to try in a year if you can stand it.... You won't be dissapointed...

Old 02-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #16
djbradle
Recipes 

Question: Does there need to be a little sediment in each bottle for carbing?

Basically the BBP was in secondary for a while and I'm assuming the bottles will carb after 6 weeks but if they don't? Would the yeast have a tough time due to the oak and bourbon? The beer was pretty crystal clear when bottling.

Average gravity you are right . . I'm too used to very high gravity beers so the low gravity was just a personal opinion.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #17
gavball6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cooling wort on this right now... Looking forward to hearing how yours tastes after conditioning!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is there something close to a consensus or preferred opinion as to the brand and amount of bourbon to use for this?
Also, is there anyone here who has made this with a rye whiskey instead of bourbon?
I am going to brew this next month and already getting excited for it. I have a specific rye whiskey that I like and am thinking about using that.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #19
acuenca
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle
Question: Does there need to be a little sediment in each bottle for carbing?

Basically the BBP was in secondary for a while and I'm assuming the bottles will carb after 6 weeks but if they don't? Would the yeast have a tough time due to the oak and bourbon? The beer was pretty crystal clear when bottling.

Average gravity you are right . . I'm too used to very high gravity beers so the low gravity was just a personal opinion.
There should be enough in suspension to carb up the beer when you transfer to the oak and bourbon and then subsequently to the bottling bucket. Mine was p pretty clear too and carbed up just fine.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
acuenca
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebogey10
Is there something close to a consensus or preferred opinion as to the brand and amount of bourbon to use for this?
Also, is there anyone here who has made this with a rye whiskey instead of bourbon?
I am going to brew this next month and already getting excited for it. I have a specific rye whiskey that I like and am thinking about using that.
I don't think there is a preffered consensus on the bourbon type but similar to wine with cooking, id use a good whisky/bourbon that you would typically drink not a cheap one....many people use makers...i used wood ford reserve... The rye idea is great. Use what you want to drink....