Open Source PID!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted some info about this a few days ago here: New Open Source Arduino Based PID Controller Released

The full PID is $85. However, you can get everything you need in just the Controller Shield for $39.

Keep in mind that this controller can actually run multiple PID controlled devices at the same time. All you need to do is hook SSRs up to the output pins and tweak the code. The cost is actually VERY low when you consider what it would cost to buy 2-4 individual PID controllers.

I bought 3 of these today for $38 each.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PIM3R8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Note that they have a learning mode to discover the P, I and D values to be used in the system.

Note that they also have a built in relay that will directly control my gas valves. (24VAC @ 0.5A)

I love open source more than the next guy... in both Linux and Arduino.

However, if I was going to do this sort of thing, I would use a device like this
Fusion Brain Version 6
and read the RTD voltages into a laptop, do all the processing, display, logging, etc there and then use the out pins to turn relays on and off.

15 analog inputs and 31 digital outputs should be enough to run a brewstand, right ? Draft up a controller GUI using PyQT(4) and away you go.

I'm kind of kicking myself for buying those controllers today. I want to get brewing in February, so maybe I'll do the laptop thing next year.

BTW: I think that logging is the most important feature any brew system could have, so that after the fact you know what really happened with the mash.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back