Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Separate Mash Day & Boil Day?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
Seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I've done it before (mash on day 1, boil on day 2) without any issues. Although maybe I just got lucky because it's possible that any wild yeast, etc., can sour the wort overnight.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
JesseL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
FYI, I'm a single dad with 3 kids, full time job, etc... I brew 10 gallon batches to save time.
Now THAT is an inspiration! My hat is off.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
BillyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have set up the mash tun at 9:00 or 10:00 at night and let the mash sit overnight. I am up by 7:00am to get the party started and have never had any issues. i don't do this every time but I would say 30 times over the last 4 years. I have never had any issues with efficiency or sour taste in the beer. I have purposely brewed beers that I am very familiar with the check those issues. For me at times it is the only way I can brew. I travel 17 weeks a year - married with 3 kids - busy house

Primary: Empty
Red Chair NWPA, Dim Wit

Secondary: Empty

Keg: RedShift IPA, Bootstrap IPA, Dos Equis, Albino Pale Ale, Total Domination Clone, Rye IPA, Grant's Perfect Porter, Cascadian Dark Ale, IIPA

Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBeer View Post
I have set up the mash tun at 9:00 or 10:00 at night and let the mash sit overnight. I am up by 7:00am to get the party started and have never had any issues. i don't do this every time but I would say 30 times over the last 4 years. I have never had any issues with efficiency or sour taste in the beer. I have purposely brewed beers that I am very familiar with the check those issues. For me at times it is the only way I can brew. I travel 17 weeks a year - married with 3 kids - busy house
I know this thread is very old, but hopefully someone will respond. So in the quote above am I right in that you basically dough in at 10pm and let the mash do it's thing for about 9-10 hours?

In other words, if your target mash temp is 153F, you mash in to temp and close the lid and go to bed. Then in the morning you drain and sparge. Then you boil?

For everyone else who is saying that your beer will sour, how is what the quote above any different than mashing, sparging and putting the wort aside until the next evening? Thanks for helping me out!

Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
Jdslep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrojosh
For everyone else who is saying that your beer will sour, how is what the quote above any different than mashing, sparging and putting the wort aside until the next evening? Thanks for helping me out!
If you sparge on the first day, you can pasteurize the wort by heating to to 170F on the stove before going to bed.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
MrFeltimo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I have in the past mashed, sparged and collected pre boil volume at night then finished of the process in the morning before the kids get up, works fine, just covered the kettle in blankets to retain some heat.
Kegged:1-Empty, 2-Empty, 3-Oatmeal Stout, 4-Empty, 5-Empty
Future brews: Kolsch, Saison, RIS.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
badagent
Recipes 

I have left my wort in the boil kettle for close to 12 hours BEFORE the boil. I didn't want to by any means but emergencies happen that you can't control. So I just leave the lid on it and put it in my keggerator tell I could get to it. I finished the beer and I didn't get any off flavors or sourness. In fact the beer is one of my best according to friends and family. I am by no means saying to do this every time do to bacteria, but you never know tell you try it. Do a SMASH brew and see how it works out. There is only one grain and one hop in them so it would be like $12.00 to find out.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
JesseL
Recipes 

Here's an update, in case anyone's interested. I just opened my first beer from this batch where I mashed and lautered the night before. I was done around 9:00 p.m., left the kettle on the stove, and started up for the boil about 7:00 a.m. the next morning. No off flavors, no souring, just a really good beer. Seeing as I have twins, a full-time job, and a freelance job, I'm going to be doing it this way from now on.

By the way, I've heard lots of people say that souring could happen. Is there anyone out there who has a first-hand account of sour beer from a full kettle left overnight pre-boil?