Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett noob w/ questions

Old 01-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #21
pantsmachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I imagine I'll be brewing beers that I'd want a light-medium body in. If I treat it as a normal saach beer, they'd be recipes I'd mash at 149-152. I plan on doing a lot of paler beers like saisons, blonde, and patersbier.
My understanding and experience with Brett C is that you can pretty much forget about looking for a medium bodied beer. The Brett C i am using takes beer down to 1.000 to 1.003. Admittedly this is being used during secondary fermentation. Nonetheless i see no reason why it will not continue to reduce the sugars in any beer until all(or vast majority) are spent. I might be missing something here(regular occurrence) but you should treat all brett'd beers as serious sugar eaters and don't bottle at 1.010 to 1.014 if it stops there. I'm sure someone will be along to explain more or point out the error of my advice as i've only brett'd a few times. In saying that, the mouthfeel and flavours from the brett'd beers were way better that their FG would have indicated. Good luck and welcome to a whole new fractal!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #22
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsmachine View Post
My understanding and experience with Brett C is that you can pretty much forget about looking for a medium bodied beer. The Brett C i am using takes beer down to 1.000 to 1.003. Admittedly this is being used during secondary fermentation. Nonetheless i see no reason why it will not continue to reduce the sugars in any beer until all(or vast majority) are spent. I might be missing something here(regular occurrence) but you should treat all brett'd beers as serious sugar eaters and don't bottle at 1.010 to 1.014 if it stops there. I'm sure someone will be along to explain more or point out the error of my advice as i've only brett'd a few times. In saying that, the mouthfeel and flavours from the brett'd beers were way better that their FG would have indicated. Good luck and welcome to a whole new fractal!
Using Brett as a primary vs a secondary yeast is very different. You get very different flavors from the yeasts, and it doesn't ferment as far. I don't know the science, but that is my experience and also is what I get from various books on the subject.

Brett as a primary (in an oxygen rich environment) acts like a sacc yeast but has a lot more fruity flavor. Brett as a secondary yeast (in an oxygen starved environment) produces leather/farm flavors and brings the gravity much lower. I have never had it take it lower than 1.005 even as a secondary yeast, but I have only done a few beers with it as secondary.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebas83
Perfect. I think you'll be happy mashing low for those guys. Especially if you have Brett in the primary. For that extra "chewiness" consider adding rye and oats to you your bill as opposed to higher mashing. That will keep that lightness around while maintaining body.

I have a black saison that I mashed low (147), then added partially caramelized figs to the primary. I pitched a high krausen saison yeast with a slow Brett (propped up from Tired Hands Wachu Saison). It is just kicking ass right now!! Really fruity and tropical with that Brett leather in there.
Sounds delicious! Once I get going and have a few batches under my belt I'd love to swap bottles with you guys.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
Burgs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

Using Brett as a primary vs a secondary yeast is very different. You get very different flavors from the yeasts, and it doesn't ferment as far. I don't know the science, but that is my experience and also is what I get from various books on the subject.

Brett as a primary (in an oxygen rich environment) acts like a sacc yeast but has a lot more fruity flavor. Brett as a secondary yeast (in an oxygen starved environment) produces leather/farm flavors and brings the gravity much lower. I have never had it take it lower than 1.005 even as a secondary yeast, but I have only done a few beers with it as secondary.
My initial experiences will be using it as a primary yeast, and I'm sure I'll have some follow up "is this beer done" questions I post on the first few batches. I have the ability to keg and avoid the whole bottle bomb risk but I'd rather bottle condition everything to be honest.

Calder, in your experience, When you've used Brett in primary, do you eventually get some of the leather/funk as time goes on?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Burgs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsmachine

Thanks man! I appreciate the reply.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Re:kegging. It's cool to keg, but time in bottles will show you the true breadth of what Brett does. Use cork and Belgian bottles though

Having the same beer change so much over time is really amazing. It's what makes homebrewing awesome. That is, when it's a good beer. Ha!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #27
Burgs
Recipes 

I will definitely do some corked and caged bottles down the road - don't have a corker yet though. I've got 2 cases of bombers and have been stocking up on other sizes as well.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #28
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That'll do well. The Brewing Network episode on Brett is really quite informative. Especially on experiences with bottling and temperature. Brett beers can turn into gushers within a few degrees. Serve cold, let warm up.

Good luck!!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
Burgs
Recipes 

I was looking at The Brewing Network on iTunes and wow there are a ton of episodes. Is this the right one? http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/707

Old 01-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #30
Burgs
Recipes 

I just got my yeasts in and I have a couple questions the White Labs American Farmhouse: I'm planning on doing a simple saison with this one, per the suggestions on this thread. First thing, should I make a starter? Since this is a blend of both saison and Brett yeast, if I make a starter, do I give the saach strain too much of a head start and throw off the balance. Second question: will the Brett flavors in this one develop and increase with bottle conditioning time?